Trouble shooting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
The other day, while watching a freight train, I heard a very loud screeching--like metal grinding on metal--and it was coming from a gondola car. If such a grinding continues much longer, it could wear away the axle, wheel, etc. and cause a derailment. Then, the day afterward, I hear about a freight train derailment on UP, which in turn after Amtrak Coast Starlight's running, disrupting it. I wonder if it was the same train.

Does any body know if there is a telephone number--even a 1-800 number--I can call to report such a problem? I know there are grade crossing hotlines, how about for trains? I could report something I have seen and/or heard that is not quite right. Any suggestions? I live in Amtrak, UP, and BNSF territory.

Steve and all other railfans,

Click here for a rather comprehensive list of many RR emergency phone numbers.

If you do call to report something, make sure to try and decribe the actual problem. Also try to find a mile marker or what road you are on. Many crossing gates and/or flashing lights have a marker number that you can call in.

Also count the number of cars from the problem car to the end of the train. This will help the crew figure out where the problem is, as they know how many cars they are running with. So knowing how many from the end means that they can calculate how many cars from the front the problem is.

If you can catch the car number or even the company that owns it, along with what type of car (gondola, box, ...) that will also help.

Ps. What a great question to ask. Thanks, Steve! :)

Very good question Steve, I am definitely prinitng that page out and putting that in my grip in case I do ever see anything like what you saw. If you ever are caught without that list though and are near a grade crossing with protection (gates and lights) most railroads post a phone number on there where you can at least talk to someone, tell them what you saw and they can connect you. Alan does bring up key pieces of information that are good to have when reporting anything to a railroad: milepost, crossing, track number, train number (if applicable), engine number (if applicable), car number (if applicable), and where the car was in the consist. The more information you can give the better the likelihood that they will be able to get the problem solved quickly.

Thanks for your responses. It turned out to be another train: a northbound UP freight derailed at Cantara Loop, which interupted Amtrak service for a few days.

Still it's good info to have.

Cantara Loop is a sharp horseshoe, hairpin turn where trains gain altitude (going north) near Dunsmuir. It has been problematic for the SP and UP for years. One of the most notorious incidents happened in about 1991. A train derailed, sending tank cars filled with herbacide into the river, killing many fish--tourism, including sports fishing, is a major business. Fortunately this time, there were no hazardous substances going into the river, but it did mess up the line of a few days. Amtrak bused passengers around accident site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back