Tuboliner III Makes Its First Run Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
On Monday, April 4, the Super Steel turbotrain finally (after 2.5 years) made its first revenue run. The first trainset (powercars 2135-2158) filled in on Albany-Rensselar - NYC trains 250 and 257, leaving A/R at 9 am and returning at 4:24 p.m.
Thanks go to Railpace Hotnews for the above quote.

Good to hear, hope to see it in revenue (Regular assignment) soon. I want to go to NYP to photograph it this Summer. :) B)

Oops, it would appear that Hotnews got the date wrong. It should be Monday the 14th and not the 4th.

According to what Conductors say the Turboliners are a much better train to run/handle than Amfleet I's. With good reason, Turboliners are fixed consists, so you don't run into the PA problems or HEP problems that you would otherwise because parts need to be interchangeable.

The interiors look very wide and open and the window almost seem bigger than those on the Acela Express. According to some posts at Trainorders the seats were designed to recline, but as the back goes back the seat goes forward, thus eliminating scrunching in the passenger behind you. Business Class was also improved with 2-1 seating with wider seats. Very European... B)

Amfleet said:
The interiors look very wide and open and the window almost seem bigger than those on the Acela Express. According to some posts at Trainorders the seats were designed to recline, but as the back goes back the seat goes forward, thus eliminating scrunching in the passenger behind you. Business Class was also improved with 2-1 seating with wider seats. Very European... B)
Any idea if there are any pics available anywhere?

tubaallen said:
Amfleet said:
Any idea if there are any pics available anywhere?
Yes, Trainorders.com. If you're not registered and don't want to register, I'll gladly e-mail those pictures to anyone, as you need a membership to view them.

Is the Turboliner II rebuild used anymore? I recall it was used twice a day on the express trains from Schenectady - NYP and on that Friday train to Syracuse (I think both of those trains are now defunct). This rebuild, the only of its kind, was cool lookin, I liked its paint job.

Sadly, no the RTL II has been down for several months now. Even towards the end, when they were using it, the train was not running under its own power. They were sticking a P32 AC-DM on the end, as the Turboliner's motors were very unreliable.

Superliner Diner and I saw the RTL II trainset sitting at Albany Station back in early March. I know that it wasn't in use, as the trainset was snowed in at that point. They had not bothered to clear any snow away from either end of the train. You can check out some photos that I took while there on Viewliner’s website located

here.

To my knowledge that final set should head off to the factory to start its refurb once the first RTL III set starts in normal revenue service. Of course since they aren't using it anyhow, it may well have left for the factory already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back