Turkey dinners available on Amtrak diners over holiday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yumacool

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Each year I travel on the Coast Starlight with my wife to visit my mother, who is 92 years old. Until the last couple years, Amtrak always featured special holiday meals on the dining car -- namely, turkey dinner. I always enjoyed it. Turkey was not available last year and I suspect it won't be this year, either. Does anybody know for sure? By the way, we depart from Los Angeles tomorrow morning!

Chuck

Given all the cutbacks in the dining car service, I suspect your your prediction about turkey will come true. Sadly.

Agree you are skating on thin ice for a turkey meal. Last time I had one was about 3 years ago on Crescent from Was to Nol. And it wasn't really very good.

Considering there would have to be special provisioning and instructions, when there is an effort to eliminate full service, I feel we are stuck with the same old menu. I remember having many turkey dinners in the DC, really enjoyed them. I remember some crew would dress up as Santa Christmas Eve giving out toys the crew bought to the little kids traveling that night.

Turkey and mashed potatoes, available daily as a "daily special" since October.

(These won't sell well after Thanksgiving.)

It is hard to tell from that pic, but it looks like it may actually be real Turkey meat and not that perfect circle compressed scrap stuff. Circular Turkeys do not occur naturally :unsure: :D

The picture shows rice, though, instead of potatoes. KmH, which did they serve when you ordered it?

Also, just out of curiosity, why are some meals targeted to sleeper passengers and others to coach passengers?

The picture shows rice, though, instead of potatoes. KmH, which did they serve when you ordered it?

Also, just out of curiosity, why are some meals targeted to sleeper passengers and others to coach passengers?
The ones targeted to coach pax may be the ones used for the "served at your seat" meals.

Some of those Coach Dinners look pretty good and hopefully can be ordered by Sleeper pax to expand the variety.

Some of those Coach Dinners look pretty good and hopefully can be ordered by Sleeper pax to expand the variety.
I asked about this once. I was told that sleeper passengers would have to pay out of pocket for any coach seat meals. How hilarious is this? Sleeper passengers paying extra for coach seat meals. You couldn't make this up if you tried, but you can see it any day of the week on Amtrak.

I asked about this once. I was told that sleeper passengers would have to pay out of pocket for any coach seat meals. How hilarious is this? Sleeper passengers paying extra for coach seat meals. You couldn't make this up if you tried, but you can see it any day of the week on Amtrak.
Classic Amtrak.
On the CZ in October, there was no at-seat option, and the turkey meal (real turkey medallions, not the pressed processed stuff) was available in the diner for lunch and dinner. No extra charge for sleeper pax. Mine, at lunch, either came with mashed potatoes or a choice of mash or rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I rode the Sunset last month the Coach Meal offering was Fried Chicken with Mashed,a Roll and a Bottle of Water for $10.

It was only available at your seat in Coach delivered by the Attendant.

(I tried to order it and was told No way Jose! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back