Twelve Thousand Miles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
12,000 Miles Part 2

Awoke the next morning as we left Memphis. I had felt a little chilly through the night, but was too sleepy to think of borrowing the blanket from the upper unused bed. Doh!

Had a nice breakfast and lunch in the dinning car, and just watched the scenery pass.

Some patches of swampy ground with dead trees, and large expanses of waterlogged vegetation.. Didn’t spot any ‘gators this trip though!

289234198.jpg

289235121.jpg

Arriving into New Orleans, I felt like an old hand, my third visit, albeit just an overnight stop.

Taxi to my hotel, chatted to driver, old guy been a taxi driver for 20 years but struggling to exist these days in the Katrina aftermath.

Some shops and businesses still closed or showing signs of damage in the main Canal Street area, but it is looking better than my last visit in January 2007.

Had a walk down to the Mississippi, (still feels magical to me to be able to say that.. it seemed so far away when learning about the river, as a child!)

There is a boat passing by, with a rear paddle, but I am not convinced the paddle wheel is the real driving force, it might be for show, like the cowboys outfit in Chicago!

289234561.jpg

289234254.jpg

Took a trip down to the end of the streetcar line, just for the ride. The cemeteries are at the end of the line.. in more ways than one!

289235115.jpg

289234584.jpg

I noticed another streetcar line seemed to be just about repaired, nice to think of other options for my next visit, and things slowly getting back into full use.

289235116.jpg

289235113.jpg

289235112.jpg

The hotel has wireless internet, so I have managed to book my next accommodation, and have decided to book into the youth hostel in San Diego, for a couple of days.

After a good nights sleep, I bought a few items for today’s journey, mainly water and snacks, and caught a cab back to the station. They were already boarding as I got to the station, and I was soon seated in my roomette. As I heard the “all aboard”, I noticed the roomette opposite mine was occupied by a rather attractive lady..

TBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back