Two travelers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
If two people are traveling in the same sleeper room, booked for the entire trip together, can both of their AGR points be redeemed for travel? Or can it only be from the one person's AGR account?

My wife and I are doing a three zone trip

All the points for an award must come out of one account. So for a 3 zone Roomette, you must have 35,000 in one account to book that award, which includes both passengers. If you don't have that many points, you could consider two possibilities.

1) Pay to transfer points from one account to the other.

2) Break up the trip. Meaning have one account spend 20,000 points to go two zones and then have the other account buy a one zone award for 15,000 points to finish the trip. Note that this could mean needing to change rooms if the agent isn't careful during booking and you'll have to have the other tickets scanned at the border city where the zone changes.

All the points for an award must come out of one account. So for a 3 zone Roomette, you must have 35,000 in one account to book that award, which includes both passengers. If you don't have that many points, you could consider two possibilities.

2) Break up the trip. Meaning have one account spend 20,000 points to go two zones and then have the other account buy a one zone award for 15,000 points to finish the trip. Note that this could mean needing to change rooms if the agent isn't careful during booking and you'll have to have the other tickets scanned at the border city where the zone changes.
As to scanning ticket at the border city, I was able to have both tickets scanned at my origin city (Chicago) when I had an AGR & a pd ticket. I was happy with that because I was sound asleep when we reached the border city. I'm hoping the same will happen in a few weeks as the border city will be CIN on this trip.

Scanned? On my lat trip (3 sleepers in each direction), not once did the conductor stop by. On each one, the SCA took care of it. Never had to show my ticket. Onl places to show ticket were the ambus from Toledo, the Wolverine from Troy and the Blue Water from Kalamazoo (The outgoing trip was broken up) but never on the sleepers.

When I had a two-zone, one-zone split (because my destination AmBus wasn't listed as a valid connection from my origin city, but it was from the zone city), I checked to see if I could get the same roomette all the way. The AGR agent said the roomette was not available for the rest of the trip, but something was strange about it... so I had her check again as soon as the reservation was finalized, and the roomette was magically available the rest of the way! She was then able to "modify" the reservation to keep the same roomette.

When I boarded, I mentioned to my SCA that I was NOT leaving the train at Denver, just hd a split reservation, and she just smiled and said "I noticed." Everything was taken care of.

Back