TX Eagle Advice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
Hi all- I have managed to save up enough AGR pts. for a trip and was thinking of taking the TX Eagle south from IL since it is one of the few LD routes I haven't been on. Am looking for advice on where to stop and stay for a day or so and then return North. Trip would likely be in late May/Early June- very flexible on dates. Have not been to any of the below places other than the airport or passing through San Antonio on the SL. Any advice or sharing experiences appreciated!

Options considering:

1. Turn at Dallas or Ft. Worth- see the history sites, ride the different transit options there.

2. Turn at Austin- I have heard this is a neat town with good food and music.

3. Turn at San Antonio- could see the Alamo and riverwalk and ride to end of TX Eagle route.

4. Schedule it so I can continue West on a day TX Eagle connects to SL. Turn at someplace like Alpine (looks like a nice small town- is it?) Would get extra nights on train and not have to pay for a hotel (I will be in sleeper on AGR reward trip).

Since it is all a 1 Zone trip, I'd go for maximum train time and head on into SAS. There is enough within walking distance of the station to keep you busy for a day or 2 without having to rent a car.

Even though I live in Austin, I concur with San Antonio over Austin! :eek: DFW would be my 2nd choice since they have a much better Transportation network and you don't want to have to rent a car! One Caveat is that Hotels in Downtown San Antonio are Pricey in the Summer Tourist Season, perhaps one of the On-line Discount sights can snag you a Deal! With the New Schedule change coming up for the Eagle/Sunset on May 7th don't think your idea of turning in Alpine will be feasible, as they say on the Sunset if you miss the Train, next Train in Three Days! :eek: Technically you can go all the way to El Paso on a One Zone Award but you will have to spend @ least one night there to do a turn, and El Paso ain't what it used to be 9actually Never was!)with Juarez becoming ther Murder Capitol of the World! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back