Typewriters not allowed on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rvm

Train Attendant
I recall reading in Amtrak's rules regarding checked and carry-on baggage that typewriters are not allowed on board trains. Why not? Could this be an old rule banning portable manual typewriters because people were making too much noise typing aboard trains?

Actually, I collect, repair and use them all the time. I have several portable manuals that are light enough to carry and use on a train. But, I'm not everybody.

Actually, I collect, repair and use them all the time. I have several portable manuals that are light enough to carry and use on a train. But, I'm not everybody.
I bet you could bring it with you if you really wanted. I think at this point the conductor would be more interested in seeing an old type writer actually being used/transported even though there is probably a policy that dates back pre-Amtrak.

Are you sure that the ban is still in effect? I looked here on the Amtrak Web site, and while that darn sword ban is still in effect, I don't see anything about typewriters.

Are you sure that the ban is still in effect? I looked here on the Amtrak Web site, and while that darn sword ban is still in effect, I don't see anything about typewriters.

Yeah I see nothing on this ban of typewriters. Maybe it has something to do with people making up there own tickets using a typewriter. Maybe just an old rule.

I would guess it's because of the noise. A lot of people used to write on the train and in the days before computers, you either handwrote or typed on a clacky typewriter.

I love typewriters! I have a couple of really old ones, though could not tell you a thing about them, except that I love them. My favorite part of a typewriter, the ribbon :wub:

Funniest post in quite some time, thank you!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"manual or electric......" Get outta here!

Smith-Corona Skyriter

Here's an example. Smith-Corona Skyriter, typebar type, moving carriage, manual. I think of it as a "laptop" typewriter, since it can be placed on one's lap while typing on it.

I doubt I'll carry it with me on the train. I only asked because I remember seeing the rule against typewriters in the past and I was wondering why they were/are prohibited.

I doubt I'll carry it with me on the train. I only asked because I remember seeing the rule against typewriters in the past and I was wondering why they were/are prohibited.
I was just speculating out loud that possibly an older manual typewriter might be too heavy for the snack trays, especially if one factors in having to pound down hard on the keys when typing.

Plus, I guess the carriage upon returning, might "invade" the space of one's neighbor, knocking over his coffee?

Old timetables list typewriters as not allowed in checked luggage, but that's just because they're expensive and fragile. The only restriction on carry-ons is a limit of two pieces.

I think I would rather hear your typing the "The Great American Novel" on your Smith Corona than hear you yakking away about Aunt Gertie's gaul stones on your cell phone! Just dont leave it unattended and go for Pizza! It wont be there

This is bad news. The ban then is still discrimanatory towards the Samurai!
And when I do Medieval reenactment, I cannot consider taking the train to an event as Amtrak would not look too kindly upon War Hammers, Crossbows, Halberds or trying to check a Trebuchet into the baggage car :eek:

This is bad news. The ban then is still discrimanatory towards the Samurai!
And when I do Medieval reenactment, I cannot consider taking the train to an event as Amtrak would not look too kindly upon War Hammers, Crossbows, Halberds or trying to check a Trebuchet into the baggage car :eek:
Hah!, I'd love to see you try to fit a trebuchet into the baggage car! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back