U.S. House votes to cut Amtrak funding, allow pets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My worrys is NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I swear I better not Hear the pooch.

a condutctor can ask a pax to shut up and quite down...... I doubt Mr pooch understands Mr conductor is in charge .

humans are at the very least able to understand the idea of night time and for the most part respect it .

a condutctor can ask a pax to shut up and quite down...... I doubt Mr pooch understands Mr conductor is in charge .

humans are at the very least able to understand the idea of night time and for the most part respect it .
I suppose there are those who are in favor of this who might say that crying babies and kids can be as noisy as Mr. Pooch might be, and they are allowed on the train. I would think that to be a false comparison, though.

But, that brings me back to my original question, which has not been addressed. If a human passenger has an aversion to the "animal car" for whatever reason, would/should s/he be allowed to move to a different car, even if he was assigned to the "animal car" for a legit reason (ie, it is the car for his/her destination)? If that is answered in the affirmative by Amtrak, then I would have no problem with the current test moving forward to the system. As long as passengers get the choice to not be in the "animal car" if they do not wish to be.

I went to the symphony (Milwaukee) a few weeks ago. One of the audience had his service dog with him. The dog was perfect. It sat at his feet during the pre-concert lecture. The patron ended up sitting about 2 rows in front of me, in the first row - again at the feet. During intermission, the dog rested his nose on the rail of the first row, overlooking the stage. The animal was 100% non-intrusive, but, it was also not a pet.

Good dog!

But...

I have to ask the obvious question:

When your "service animal" or "pet" hears the call of nature, and you're on a train that won't stop for another hour, or two - and that stop might just be a "toot and scoot", what do you do? There's not enough time to really walk the animal, is there?

I went to the symphony (Milwaukee) a few weeks ago. One of the audience had his service dog with him. The dog was perfect. It sat at his feet during the pre-concert lecture. The patron ended up sitting about 2 rows in front of me, in the first row - again at the feet. During intermission, the dog rested his nose on the rail of the first row, overlooking the stage. The animal was 100% non-intrusive, but, it was also not a pet.

Good dog!

But...

I have to ask the obvious question:

When your "service animal" or "pet" hears the call of nature, and you're on a train that won't stop for another hour, or two - and that stop might just be a "toot and scoot", what do you do? There's not enough time to really walk the animal, is there?
There is a world of difference between a trained service animal and your generic family pooch. Both in temperament and behavior, IMHO.

Absolutely. They are, as I said, not "pets."

But, when they gotta go, they gotta go. Someone's going to have an accident, sooner or later.

Gar

An

Teed

What's the solution to this issue?

But, when they gotta go, they gotta go. Someone's going to have an accident, sooner or later.

Gar

An

Teed

Many pet stores sell absorbent, odor-controlling pads for lining the carrier. They're designed for these "accidents". The carriers also have to be leak-proof (i.e. no soft-sided carriers).

http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-carrier-crate-pads/

Last edited by a moderator:
Service animals on the Auto Train are walked during the routine service stop in Florence SC (near the mid-point), where the operating crew is relieved, the engines fueled, and water taken on the passenger cars as necessary. The owners of service animals regulate the animal's water intake before the trip, so that the problem doesn't become acute. In addition to all the other things that are included in the animal's training, they are also taught to self-regulate and control their natural processes. I have never encountered a service animal that had an accident. If I did, I would conclude that the animal is ill, and I'm sure the animal's human companion would also be very concerned.

If animals are going to be carried, I guess Amtrak would have to build pet-walking areas at certain strategically located places.

Tom

As stated by some others, as long as there is a dog car, a cat car, and a " I leave my pet at home and do not care to be neighbors with yours" car, then so be it. But if I am forced to sit next to a person with their dog, then my days of riding Amtrak may be numbered. I am sure there are more who feel that way, than those who want to bring their pets on board.

Service dogs are taught to go on command. Some are taught to go while the handler holds a human diaper under them. Others go on multiple pads on a black plastic garbage bag. There are relieving harnesses that hold a plastic bag to their but to poop in. My retired service dog refused to learn to pee indoors on command when I tried to teach him to use pads. After 16 hours I gave up.

Service dogs are taught to go on command. Some are taught to go while the handler holds a human diaper under them. Others go on multiple pads on a black plastic garbage bag. There are relieving harnesses that hold a plastic bag to their but to poop in. My retired service dog refused to learn to pee indoors on command when I tried to teach him to use pads. After 16 hours I gave up.
There is a world of difference between a trained service animal and your generic family pooch. Both in temperament and behavior, IMHO.

Gar

An

Teed

Many pet stores sell absorbent, odor-controlling pads for lining the carrier. They're designed for these "accidents". The carriers also have to be leak-proof (i.e. no soft-sided carriers).

http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-carrier-crate-pads/
Again, if we look to the airlines as a guide, pets will be traveling in the carriers for short haul runs and hopefully their owners will use these. I know my dog will hold it for 8 hours (or lately he has known to hold it for longer because he was trying to refuse to go out in the snow) but of course they get sick, have accidents, etc. Assuming that the pets will be in carriers and not just sitting in people's laps or on the floor of the car, I don't think we need to get too worried about all of these what if type situations.

Remember the lady with the comfort pig on the plane. The pig went wild and they were put off the plane before it took off. Just think if it were airborn.

Remember the lady with the comfort pig on the plane. The pig went wild and they were put off the plane before it took off. Just think if it were airborn.
Just think if it was Amtrak...hence the reason why animals belong in the baggage car, with the rest of the cargo. Animals aren't human, despite the protestations of the so-called "pet parents" and their ilk.

I'm not sure what part of "baggage cars aren't climate controlled and are unsafe for pets" you're finding it difficult to comprehend, but it's getting old.

Pets obviously aren't human. Nobody here is claiming that they are. Stop making crap up.

On my most recent trip northbound on the CS from CMO to EUG, there was a dog owner sleeping in the seats directly behind the stairs. The large dog's nose was more than halfway across the aisle. I had to step over the sleeping dog's head several times during the trip. I saw no indication that the passenger needed any type of dog with him since he was at the top of the stairs.

Tom, there are assistive dogs for the hard of hearing/deaf. Perhaps that was one. Though I would think a well-trained one would not have it's nose "in the way".

Unfortunately, deafness is an invisible disability, like many others.

My horror is even more awkward. My deafness, a result of chemo comes and goes. I have done a fairly good job of reading lips. I have all the compassion in the world for those with honest to good service animals. I have no compassion for just traveling with Fido or Kitty. If the baggage car isn't good enough for them then leave them at home. They can stink up the owners carpet.

For starters, it's not practical to leave animals at home if you're (a) moving, (b) giving the animal to a new owner, © taking the animal to a veterinary appointment,...

I suppose some here would like everyone who needs to do any of this to rent a car or fly. I prefer to promote train travel, myself.

My horror is even more awkward. My deafness, a result of chemo comes and goes. I have done a fairly good job of reading lips. I have all the compassion in the world for those with honest to good service animals. I have no compassion for just traveling with Fido or Kitty. If the baggage car isn't good enough for them then leave them at home. They can stink up the owners carpet.
Or they can fly with their pet in the cabin underneath the seat in front of them in a carrier....
This can go on forever folks. I don't think anyone is advocating an animal free for all. But people are asking to take small pets on board Amtrak as most major airlines and other rail service on this country already allow with reasonable restrictions such as short haul, animals in carriers, etc.

I'm not sure what part of "baggage cars aren't climate controlled and are unsafe for pets" you're finding it difficult to comprehend, but it's getting old.

Pets obviously aren't human. Nobody here is claiming that they are. Stop making crap up.
Dogs and cats are mammals, Frisky. That's why they need to be in a climate-controlled, safe area. Nobody is saying they are human, but they are susceptible to dehydration, heat stroke, hypothermia, and injuries just like we are. If a human (also mammal) can't ride in a baggage car, then neither should an animal.

I'm not sure why you keep failing to comprehend that.

Unless it's a screaming baby, and we put up with those.

And before someone stupidly accuses me of comparing babies to animals, I'm comparing noise to noise.

when pets have the same rights has humans something is seriously wrong

next I am going to hear that you can't eat without your pet so you want the pet (not service animal) in the diner

I don't fly for a reason an no pets is one of them

keep Fido and Fifi at home
Talk about hyperbole. Nobody said pets have the same rights as humans. Nobody is giving a pet a driver's license or marriage license, and I'm really not sure how "four animal limit, must be in a carrier, and all animals will be in a designated car" becomes "bringing pets to the diner".

Besides, food service guidelines prevent this from happening anyway. Only service animals are permitted in restaurants.

For starters, it's not practical to leave animals at home if you're (a) moving, (b) giving the animal to a new owner, © taking the animal to a veterinary appointment,...

I suppose some here would like everyone who needs to do any of this to rent a car or fly. I prefer to promote train travel, myself.
Half the time the pet is the unhappiest one on the trip. Confined, unfamiliar sounds and smells, etc. Just so the owner can have that "unconditional love" dragged around. Get a tomagotchi.

Working dogs are completely different from pets.

I would never take my cat on a train ride, it would be sheer misery. Cats are territorial animals ... much happier at home than traveling like that. Like many pet owners I trade pet sitting/check-in services with other pet owners, we trade keys so our pets are safe and happy when we travel. You can also pay people to do this, not super expensive, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back