U.S. House votes to cut Amtrak funding, allow pets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if the owner is gone for a week visiting relatives and leaves the pet at home they can be just as miserable if not moreso! At least a train ride would be 8 hours or less, then they'd be at their destination, but that's not really a concern of Amtrak, that's up to the individual owner!

I'm not sure what part of "baggage cars aren't climate controlled and are unsafe for pets" you're finding it difficult to comprehend, but it's getting old.

Pets obviously aren't human. Nobody here is claiming that they are. Stop making crap up.
Dogs and cats are mammals, Frisky. That's why they need to be in a climate-controlled, safe area. Nobody is saying they are human, but they are susceptible to dehydration, heat stroke, hypothermia, and injuries just like we are. If a human (also mammal) can't ride in a baggage car, then neither should an animal.

I'm not sure why you keep failing to comprehend that.
Yo comprendo just bueno, amigo. If the baggage car is unacceptable, then the animals don't ride, simple as that. So either the Congress ponies up the dinero to build sufficient quantities of climate controlled kennel/baggage cars so that pookie-wookie rides better than the human cargo, or Congress should butt out and stick to whatever it does best (nothing).

Oh they won't do it because it is rational. They will do it because there is a precedent that they can point to. Most of them come from a legal background where precedents seem to be very important to support a case. :) Of course in this case luckily, the precedent is actually quite rational too, and works fine all over the world, even in much more enclosed circumstances than obtained on a train. Actually Amtrak is more of an exception, rather than the norm.

For starters, it's not practical to leave animals at home if you're (a) moving, (b) giving the animal to a new owner, © taking the animal to a veterinary appointment,...

I suppose some here would like everyone who needs to do any of this to rent a car or fly. I prefer to promote train travel, myself.
Half the time the pet is the unhappiest one on the trip. Confined, unfamiliar sounds and smells, etc. Just so the owner can have that "unconditional love" dragged around. Get a tomagotchi.

Working dogs are completely different from pets.

I would never take my cat on a train ride, it would be sheer misery. Cats are territorial animals ... much happier at home than traveling like that. Like many pet owners I trade pet sitting/check-in services with other pet owners, we trade keys so our pets are safe and happy when we travel. You can also pay people to do this, not super expensive, actually.
I actually pay for my dog to stay in the home of his dog walking when I travel, but it IS expensive. It is $55 per day.

NE prices! LOL

Dog Walkers here charge $10 a day but house/pet sitters get $25-$30 a day and Vets and Pet Hotels charge about the same!

Not sure about prices for cats and other pets, I keep my gfs cat and fish and house sit when she travels, but there is no charge for that! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, let's not forget that some people don't have a car, so if they are moving to a new city, this would be one way to take their pet.

If I were moving to Chicago and didn't have a car, I would love to be able to take our two cats on the train. They'd probably react the same way they do when they're in the car (sleep most of the time and not make a peep). They don't yowl like other cats.

Done deal. It passed.

Without Amendment
Not true. There were 6 amendments that passed, including Mica's. None were hostile to Amtrak. MacClintock's amendment hostile to Amtrak failed. Gosar and Posey's amendments did not come to the floor at all.
The main bill passed 316 to 101 with 6 amendments, none hostile to Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 of the 7 amendments offered for a vote passed, each with a voice vote. The McClintock Amendment went to a recorded vote and failed.

Here is the roll call for passage of the main bill. 132 Republicans and 184 Democrats voted in favor, while 101 Republicans and no Democrats voted against.

Oddly enough, after trying to defund Amtrak, McClintock voted for the main bill!

The 101 are the core T baggers as far as I can tell. The BANANAs of the world. :)

Done deal. It passed.

Without Amendment
Your link appears to be for H.R.749 from the 113th Congress (Eliminate Privacy Notice Confusion Act), here's the link to H.R.749 - Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 from the 114th Congress. Took me a little bit to figure out why I was confused at first :) .
Also note that the page will not get updated with today's action until later this evening at the earliest. Right now it has no information about today's action.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/234622-house-passes-amtrak-reauthorization-bill

The measure would authorize about $982 million per year for the company's national network and another $470 million annually for its popular Northeast U.S. routes.

The bill, which would expire in 2019, sets another $300 million per year for construction on Amtrak routes in the rest of country
What construction are they talking about? Platforms? Stations? Tunnels? Bridge rehab? Or new rail?

All of the above?

So according to the the story from "The Hill"

The good:
So Amtrak gets more money over the next 4 years... $982 million per year for the long-distance routes, $470 million per year for the Northeast Corridor, $300 million per year for construction and $24 million per year for the inspector general's office

The bad:
Revenue generated in the Northeast Corridor would have to stay in the Northeast Corridor... it can't be used to subsidize the long-distance routes (meaning possibly further belt-tightening on the long-distance routes).

The meh:
The pets on train program will be expanded nationally.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/234622-house-passes-amtrak-reauthorization-bill

The measure would authorize about $982 million per year for the company's national network and another $470 million annually for its popular Northeast U.S. routes.[/size]

The bill, which would expire in 2019, sets another $300 million per year for construction on Amtrak routes in the rest of country
What construction are they talking about? Platforms? Stations? Tunnels? Bridge rehab? Or new rail?
All of the above?
Any capital expenses which would (likely) mainly consist of new cars and locomotives and the repair of the existing ones.

So according to the the story from "The Hill"

The good:

So Amtrak gets more money over the next 4 years... $982 million per year for the long-distance routes, $470 million per year for the Northeast Corridor, $300 million per year for construction and $24 million per year for the inspector general's office
This is authorization. We will see what happens when it comes time to do the appropriation.
The bad:

Revenue generated in the Northeast Corridor would have to stay in the Northeast Corridor... it can't be used to subsidize the long-distance routes (meaning possibly further belt-tightening on the long-distance routes).
Not quite. They have to be kept in separate accounts but cross-transfer of funds is allowed with appropriate notification.
The meh:

The pets on train program will be expanded nationally.
That apparently is the intent.

The measure would authorize about $982 million per year for the company's national network and another $470 million annually for its popular Northeast U.S. routes.[/size]

All of the above?
Any capital expenses which would (likely) mainly consist of new cars and locomotives and the repair of the existing ones.
No, the capital expenses would include track, signal, power (NEC) system maintenance and modernization, maintenance facilities, station and platform modernizations and repair, ADA compliance, and so on, not just rolling stock. If Amtrak gets enough funding for the LD network to cover the operating losses and basic capital maintenance needs and somewhere close to the $487 million for the NEC, then much of the operating surplus generated by the Acela and NE Regionals can be plowed back into NEC capital funding needs.

The 2 major higher profile NEC projects that are on Amtrak's construction list for the next 5 fiscal years are the Portal Bridge (North) and the CT River bridge replacements. CT is funding the Walk bridge replacement in Norwalk on the New Haven Line. Projects such as the B&P Tunnel and Susquehanna bridge replacements and the NEC Gateway Hudson river tunnels will be in environmental and engineering study and lining up the funding phases for the next few years. The NEC Commission Five Year Capital Assessment FY15-FY19 report lays out the hoped for capital funding projects for the next 5 years, so it is the place to start when looking at what might actually get done on the NEC in the near term if enough funds are available.

A major piece of the re-authorization bill is providing Amtrak with directed access to RIFF loan funding for the NEC, up to $14 billion total if I understand the bill correctly. Any part of the RIFF allotment that Amtrak taps would be a loan, so it will be debt that would have to be paid back with interest. If the Senate leaves this in, going to be interesting to see what Amtrak and the NEC states do with the option to fund big ticket projects by loading the NEC up with debt. But the RIFF financing option is really a topic for a separate thread.

This would include the very necessary renovations to Chicago Union Station, Chicago yards & maintenance shops, LA yards & maintenance shops, Oakland yards & maintenance shops. Also, potentially, upgrades to stations nationwide, track & signal on the Empire Corridor and Michigan Line. And, yes, locomotives and rolling stock would fit under "capital" for "rest of the country" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back