Union Meeting

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy City LSA

Service Attendant
As promised, I am reporting on the union meeting I attended. I am a member of the Dining Car Employees Union Local 43 here in Chicago.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to report! I believe they said it was the best turnout they've ever had. I think 50-60 members showed up. I was expecting some sort of enlightening experience. Basically all that you fine folks have been reporting here concerning Simplified Dining, etc. was what was discussed. Plenty of angry veteran employees there! I think I'm too new to be angry. Although I did get angry at one point. 3 higher management guys spoke and took questions for about 1 hour of the meeting. The first guy made mention of how they need LSA's. Huh??? What??? Am I going to start hearing THAT again?? If they need LSA's, why am I furlouged? The questions and rants were flying fast and furious, so I didn't get to ask my obvious question. But I did call this gentleman when I got home. Turns out he was referring to the "future". Ohhhh...the future. They're going to need us for the busy summer season. They're having trouble finding recruits for an April LSA class. I think they're nuts. It seems they have too many of us as it is. One thing I thought was funny...an OBS person brought this up in their rant. Concerning the Texas Eagle, they complained of diesel fumes and the horn blowing all night and this adversly affecting sleep in the dorm car. This is funny to me because when I was on there, I thought it was just me and my newness! Turns out it bothers seasoned veterans as well.

I grabbed a bunch of literature that I will go through this evening. Sorry I don't have any important details to report. If I realize I have forgotten anything, I'll report back.

hey windy...........I just came from working the sunset limited to houston TX(I was sa working the houston turn) and we had a manger from Miami (name Gary for those work out of Miami crew base) who went us and back and it was horrible. I realized the whole point of it is make less people working in the diner and have the lsa do every thing .

Sounds like former MIA crew base manager Gary Mock. To my knowledge, Mr. Mock has taken another management job in ABQ, but not real sure what his new job is though. Gary was a supervisor of mine too while in JAX, but I never met him as he almost never was on the trains or made appearences with the staff.

Guest said:
hey windy...........I just came from working the sunset limited to houston TX(I was sa working the houston turn) and we had a manger from Miami (name Gary for those work out of Miami crew base)  who went us and back and it was horrible.  I realized the whole point of it is make less people working in the diner and have the lsa do every thing .
I'm not afraid of hard work. However...I can't picture greeting, seating, collecting money/handling meal tickets, taking reservations (although TA's are now supposed to help with reservations according to the guidlines) doing paperwork, AND waiting on tables. They put ALL the responsibility for meal tickets, money, accounting on us as an individual. For those who don't know, LSA's have to pay out of their pocket if they're short at the end of the trip. Lost meal ticket??? $25. Being pushed to do more could create exhaustion which could lead to paperwork errors. I understand part of my job "could" be waiting tables. I have no problem helping out. But with Simplified, it's full time waiting tables for the LSA. I just read through the overview memo thing on the subject. Plus they talk about training for the new service. Well, I'm going to miss out on that it seems. If I get back, I'm going to be lost.

yes . He now base out of ABQ and for some odd reason I dont trust him or any of mangers.

By the way Sunset Limited (2/1) is bring back the SA (they will turn at Houston) and now the Sleeper car attendant (but they will have to work both the regular sleeper and dorm car and other duties assign by the LSA !

Best of luck to those in the LAX crew base. You folks are in the same boat as everyone else: sunk! Thanks for the report. :)

well I am transfering back to Washington Dc (they only have 5 ta/sa on the board right now) . Nothing personal but if I can just hang in there until 2008 then I be ok.

Gotta go. I am working the dorm car tomorrow on train 2 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back