Union Station-Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking for guidance. First trip a week away, Chicago-Portland. Wife not particularly mobile. We're booked in roomette#2, car 2730. From which is easiest access, Jackson Street, or Adams Street? I'd like to know which, to direct my cab driver. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't just pop-down and hop onto the train in Chicago. You will have to go thru one of the waiting rooms. Being a Sleeping car passenger this allows you access to the Metropolitan Lounge. I would advise entering at either Adams or Jackson; both entrances are about as far away as each other. You will still need to walk thru part of the station to get to the waiting rooms. If walking and/or luggage is an issue Amtrak does provide Red Cap service in Chicago, however I am unaware if/how you can get curb-side service with them. You can easily get Red Cap service from the waiting room to your car however.

In the past I have found the EB to be on either tracks: 15, 17, or 19

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/retail_guide.html <-- some decent maps of the Station.

peter

You can't just pop-down and hop onto the train in Chicago. You will have to go thru one of the waiting rooms. Being a Sleeping car passenger this allows you access to the Metropolitan Lounge. I would advise entering at either Adams or Jackson; both entrances are about as far away as each other. You will still need to walk thru part of the station to get to the waiting rooms. If walking and/or luggage is an issue Amtrak does provide Red Cap service in Chicago, however I am unaware if/how you can get curb-side service with them. You can easily get Red Cap service from the waiting room to your car however.

In the past I have found the EB to be on either tracks: 15, 17, or 19

http://www.chicagounionstation.com/retail_guide.html <-- some decent maps of the Station.

peter
Probably best way for her to get into the station is by having the cab driver drop you at the entrance on the east side of Canal between Jackson and Adams as that entrance has elevators down to the main part of the station. Take the elevator on the north side down to the amtrak exit (there's also a Metra exit) and that will let you out near the ticket counters. From there, it's a very short walk to the Metropolitan lounge.

Asking for guidance. First trip a week away, Chicago-Portland. Wife not particularly mobile. We're booked in roomette#2, car 2730. From which is easiest access, Jackson Street, or Adams Street? I'd like to know which, to direct my cab driver, Rahm Emanuel. Thanks again.
Is Rahmbo trying to generate some additional cash on the side for his mayoral campaign? <_<

gdanie..............sounds best, the east side drop-off that you suggest. Thanks a lot. We'll be hungry, so we'll be looking for NinoPanini's. Thanks to all, too. Including you, too, Rahm, my cab driver. I recently purchased a Nook, which means I can buy most books ever printed, cheaply. And I can know what SHOULD be happening, instead of what IS happening. Oh, and, ummm, I'm in Texas, and I have guns and LOTS of (bullets, cartidges, shells) ammo.

gdanie..............sounds best, the east side drop-off that you suggest. Thanks a lot. We'll be hungry, so we'll be looking for NinoPanini's. Thanks to all, too. Including you, too, Rahm, my cab driver. I recently purchased a Nook, which means I can buy most books ever printed, cheaply. And I can know what SHOULD be happening, instead of what IS happening. Oh, and, ummm, I'm in Texas, and I have guns and LOTS of (bullets, cartidges, shells) ammo.
Good, because you're not allowed to talk about Amtrak unless you have a gun.

Asking for guidance. First trip a week away, Chicago-Portland. Wife not particularly mobile. We're booked in roomette#2, car 2730. From which is easiest access, Jackson Street, or Adams Street? I'd like to know which, to direct my cab driver, Rahm Emanuel. Thanks again.
In regard to you mentioning that your wife is not particularly mobile, please note that the dining car on the Empire Builder is six cars away from your sleeper for the first two days of the trip. You might consider having your meals served in your room if your wife will have difficulties walking that distance. Also, you might consider swapping your roomette to the "lower level" if your wife has difficulty going up and down stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back