UP strikes again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Heartland Flyer site, Apparently the special Eagle for the OU/Texas football game was stopped not long after San Antonio to let a UP freight run ahead which as you might have guessed had the crew die. Sounded like they never did have enough hours to make it to their crew change. The result was a couple hours delay. Then later, BNSF had a drawbar problem and set the Eagle back another couple of hours (unfortunate, but excusable). They made up a bit of time in Fort Worth, but got delayed again between FTW and DAL ending up over six hours late. Good thing it wasn't a day of game train. The Flyer was 23 min late Friday and left on it's extension to Dallas only to get stopped by UP MOW who did not know it was coming. The Flyer then reversed to FTW and passengers were put on TRE to Dallas and arrived a couple of hours late. Hopefully the trip back tomorrow goes better. I wonder how much UP gets from Bush under the table?

bmlock said:
I wonder how much UP gets from Bush under the table?
Aloha

I am not very political. I Don't Like what Bush is doing, but I think this statement is out of line, and good taste.

Mahalo for the rest of the information.

Eric

While I wouldn't really be surprised to find something like that was actually happening, on the other hand, UP is apparently so totally and hopelessly incompetent and inept that if they actually DID try to deliberately delay Amtrak an extra amount, they would probably end up speeding them up.

Its almost a no brainer UP and Bush/Associates have talked under the table. Anyone who thinks otherwise in naive.

UP fouled up again on the return trip. Many Texas fans found alternate transportation back to Austin. The Flyer was also delayed, but at least the Texas fans were celebratory. How many of those fans who took Amtrak will even think about riding again next year or any other time for that matter. Some of the things I've seen and heard UP do tend to make you think that they are doing Bush a favor. By under the table I meant money or other consessions available by virture of Bush's office. Other than UP just not liking Amtrak, what other motive do they have for what they do? Anyone should know that the people's view of Amtrak carries over to railroading in general to a certain extent. It would be in UP best interest to make Amtrak look good and promote rail as a premier transportation option for both passengers and freight. So why do they do what they do? Poor Management? Maybe some of it, but what other good explanations are there?

Amtrak_rider said:
Its almost a no brainer UP and Bush/Associates have talked under the table. Anyone who thinks otherwise in naive.
I think the new UP Unit honoring George H.W. Bush speaks for itself. :lol:

AmtrakLoverAndHater said:
If you think UP is bad you should look into Bush's ties to CSX.
Does "Secretay Of Treasury, John W Snow" ring a bell? OBS...

Back