Upcoming #6 trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the wife and I are going to leave the kids behind and get away for 2 days. Her only requirements are that she wants a stress free trip someplace and not to be stranded in an airport (We got stuck in ABQ airport last year for our annual escape from the kids). So we will fly from Denver to Sacramento and catch #6 and take it back to DEN. Any veterens of this train know if either side of the train is better for scenery than the other going East? Is there a particular sleeper room I should ask for?

I've got some 25,000 miles on Amtrak but never been on this route. I'm really looking forward to it. My wife has been on an LD train before so she knows what to expect. Should be a great time and quite relaxing! Cheers!

John

Aloha

Was on this train last September. most of my pictures are here CZ #6 east

please feel free to look around, as to side? Both are great, spent most of my time in lounge and could see both views.

There's two type of rooms available on top level of Superliner, a double decker- roommette (formerly standard bedroom) and bedroom (formerly deluxe bedroom). Bedroom is the roomiest space, taking 3/4 of its car length while roommette is the most economical way, but taking less than of car's width. I would prefer to have a room in middle of the car, to minimize the motion of car caused by wheels on track.

The view? It doesn't matter which side. I would recommend to go to lounge during the most scenice part- Sierra Nevada and Rockies.

The scenery changes back and forth from side to side, esp. during the Rockies. So, again, as others have stated, it does not matter.

If the lounge is too crowded, and you are in your room, just wait long enough and it will be on your side.

I have done the eastbound run several times. Stay in the lounge as much can because as others have stated the scenery is on both sides and is spectacular. This time of year, at night, with snow on the ground and if the moon is shining the High Sierras are beautiful. This is truly the most scenic of the routes Amtrak runs on. Be prepared to not be on time. But sit back relax and just think of it as more time on the train and away from the kids, work etc. Enjoy

:)

You imply that you haven't booked yet. If so, do it now. February 2 is fast approaching, and that's when the Zephyr will just be getting back to normal after lots of service disruptions, so there's no telling how much space will actually be available.

I've been on this train several times. When you go over donnar pass, try to be on the left hand side. There are some great views there. If you are running late out of Salt Lake City, I believe the right side is a bit better over the Wasatch mountains between Provo and Helper. As you cross the desert, either side is good. About an hour before and after Glenwood Springs, the left side is best. About an hour to an hour and a half after Glenwood Springs, try the right side to get more good views of the Colorado River Canyons.

After you come out of the Moffat tunnel, which is about 3 hours from Denver, be on the left side. You will see the city lights like you are coming in on a plane. The moffat tunnel is about 6 miles long, and it is the longest on the route so this is a pretty good land mark. It is just after Winter Park.

Enjoy. :D

As Steve seemed to suggest, I would also recommend the left side of the train for the best view even though the scenery does switch back and forth quite often. The left side eastbound through the Rockies (near Glenwood Springs) is spectacular and the river mostly runs on the left parallel to the tracks.

Thanks for all the tips!! Being on time isn't really a concern...I just need to be back in Cheyenne for work on the 4th. We are really getting psyched for the trip. Should be a lot of fun for us! Cheers!

John

Back