Upcoming CONO Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be on the CONO May 6th and leaving our car in the parking lot for two weeks, leaving from NO. Any have any opinions about the security of the NOUPT parking lot. Would hate to have to return to a "keyed" car. Thanks for any replys.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I want to say is the NOL UPT was used as the parish prison after Katrina. It is not in any sightseeing brochures but may be included in a panhandlers digest of just where to hang out and beg for beer bucks.
When there 3 weeks ago,

There were absolutely no panhandlers in the area around the station and the place was relatively clean and shiny. Also the Amtrak Cop was checking everyone's ID. A tough job as a tour bus pulled in with about 60 people (all traveled coach) and he checked every one of them and did it in a humorous and efficient manner. ;)
And just what time were you there? I'd bet a $50 bill that I could have a panhandler approach me within 10 minutes or less of walking into NOUPT with no co-ercion on my part. One time of not looking is not sufficient for a complete appraisal. Next time go see the people taking sink baths in the bathroom. There usually is a couple of panhandlers passed out in the corners of the men's room also. And "shiny?" Come on, were you REALLY in New Orleans ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with a lady at Amtrak. I was inquiring as to why the CONO has been 190 mins late these past two days, as CONO is usually early. She told me there was a sinkhole south of Memphis that should be fixed in 3-4 weeks. I guess number 59 has to come an alternate way into Jackson, MS?
I was saddened to hear that. We are going to be on both those trains in two weeks. I checked and the train is about that late arriving in Chicago also. We had about a five hour delay in CHi. before our connection with the SWC. Suddenly we don't have as much time to kill in Chicago. I still prefer travel by Amtrak though. :blink:

GregL
Here's a bit more on that sinkhole:

An 8-foot-wide sinkhole that started out the size of a basketball spread to within a foot of the train track at Central Station by Friday and is forcing Amtrak to use buses to get its passengers on and off the City of New Orleans line.
Tow trucks worked to carry 21 cars parked at the station to a safe location while Memphis Light, Gas and Water staff raised new electric lines to replace others that will come down near the sinkhole.
The full story can be found here.

And about the Metropolitan Lounge at CUS: they do hold your bags for you, right? How secure is it and how much does it cost? The booking agent told me they don't hold bags there.
As you come in the Lounge door, there is a room on the left with a redcap who will check your bag and secure it in that room until you are ready to leave. The service is free but tips are appreciated. It is very secure. I have left bags for 4-5 hours while I wandered around town, no problem.
What is an appropriate amount for a tip, and do you tip when dropping off your bags or picking them up or both?

And about the Metropolitan Lounge at CUS: they do hold your bags for you, right? How secure is it and how much does it cost? The booking agent told me they don't hold bags there.
As you come in the Lounge door, there is a room on the left with a redcap who will check your bag and secure it in that room until you are ready to leave. The service is free but tips are appreciated. It is very secure. I have left bags for 4-5 hours while I wandered around town, no problem.
What is an appropriate amount for a tip, and do you tip when dropping off your bags or picking them up or both?
Buck a bag - when you pick them up.

All I want to say is the NOL UPT was used as the parish prison after Katrina. It is not in any sightseeing brochures but may be included in a panhandlers digest of just where to hang out and beg for beer bucks.
When there 3 weeks ago,

There were absolutely no panhandlers in the area around the station and the place was relatively clean and shiny. Also the Amtrak Cop was checking everyone's ID. A tough job as a tour bus pulled in with about 60 people (all traveled coach) and he checked every one of them and did it in a humorous and efficient manner. ;)
And just what time were you there? I'd bet a $50 bill that I could have a panhandler approach me within 10 minutes or less of walking into NOUPT with no co-ercion on my part. One time of not looking is not sufficient for a complete appraisal. Next time go see the people taking sink baths in the bathroom. There usually is a couple of panhandlers passed out in the corners of the men's room also. And "shiny?" Come on, were you REALLY in New Orleans ???
Had8ley,

Was in the bathroom twice and was the only one both times. Walked around the outside for about 10 minutes, was a cool day and there were NO panhandlers. I too was surprised by how clean it was (even my Wife made a comment about this) and the Amtrak Cop was regularly walking around. The time of day was 11:00am until the CNO headed north for Chicago. I'm not sure what else to say, but I'll take your $50.00! :D

For more details, see my trip report - Our first Amtrak trip – Stl -> Chi-> Nol

We got into CHI about 1:30PM and went to the Metro Lounge, checked in and checked the huge carry on - GREAT SERVICE. Wifey stayed in the lounge after a while I walked to Giordano's - took the pizza back to the lounge. DYNAMITE PIZZA!!

I was nice to have a pleasant place to wait. At about 6:55 we boarded the CONO - we waited in our room until they announced that dinner was being served after the train had gotton underway. No Reservations mentioned. The steak & Game Hen were delicious.

For more details, see my trip report - Our first Amtrak trip – Stl -> Chi-> Nol
We got into CHI about 1:30PM and went to the Metro Lounge, checked in and checked the huge carry on - GREAT SERVICE. Wifey stayed in the lounge after a while I walked to Giordano's - took the pizza back to the lounge. DYNAMITE PIZZA!!

I was nice to have a pleasant place to wait. At about 6:55 we boarded the CONO - we waited in our room until they announced that dinner was being served after the train had gotton underway. No Reservations mentioned. The steak & Game Hen were delicious.
Good to see your report on the food on and off the train. We are doing about the same thing starting tomorrow using SWC and CONO, I think we'll get the pizza on the return trip, though. We're excited about the trip!

GregL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back