Upcoming rail trip - CS and CZ delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torgo90

Train Attendant
I am taking some time to visit friends around the country. Amtrak will be getting me to-and-fro starting next week Wednesday, March 7.

3/7-3/9 Milwaukee to Seattle - #7 Empire Builder

3/15-3/16 Seattle to Martinez - #11 Coast Starlight

3/18-3/19 Martinez to Glenwood Spings - #6 California Zephyr

3/21-3/22 Glenwood Springs to Chicago - #6

3/22 Chicago to Milwaukee - whatever Hiawatha I can catch, hopefully at least the last one #341

Been looking at the Faraz OTP web tool. The CS is typically delayed 2-5 hours. No biggie, can handle that. The CZ, on the other hand, was averaging about 4 hours behind until this week. Again, I can work with that. Now I am seeing 13 hours delays getting into GSC. I have a roomette for that leg, but do not relish the thought of losing a half a day in the mountains and getting into GSC at 2AM. It looks like the delay continues into CHI which would mean missing all Hiawathas into MKE.

Does anyone on here know what the increase in CZ delays are all about, and is there a chance that the CZ could return to its less-pathetic 4 hour delay in two weeks?

There was a blizzard in the Sierras that caused havoc on Donner Pass. The UP snow removal effort was stretched to the max, including the derailment of a spreader (a large plow that moves the snow off and well wide of the tracks). Amtrak, and all the other traffic over the pass, was held hostage to the storm and the snow removal. And, to make matters worse, Interstate 80 was closed for a time making it difficult to get replacement crews to trains that needed relief due to going beyond the hours of work law.

Basically, it was a nasty week, even by Donner standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Musta been the same storm that socked us in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the info PRR. Barring any emergencies or weather I can at least hope we don't exceed 6 hours behind.

I have become a tireless Amtrak promoter in the last couple months since they "saved Christmas" for me. I hope I started riding at the beginning of an Amtrak renaissance, and not the beginning of the end.

Well, we were actually affected by the delays -- Our CZ train left Denver on Monday (2/26) about 3 hrs late and we ended up in Reno after an eight hour delay yesterday (tues). There wasn't anything going through the pass so Amtrak put us up in a room. They didn't, however, give us any vouchers for food or otherwise!!!! Had we been able to continue on the train, everyone would have obviously been fed. It was really not a "good thing". They were able to get everyone out on buses today around 10:30a, but we haven't heard how long it took anyone to get to their destinations. We didn't leave on the bus and chose to stay another night here in Reno and hopefully catch the next train out tomorrow. Due to a recent knee reconstructive surgery, I am unable to sit on a bus for more than 45 min without moving about, so the bus was out of the question.

Our trip didn't even start well, either -- we were late getting into Denver by about 9 1/2 hrs, missed our entire nights room (already paid!) and then to have the same thing happen on the return trip was not a welcome development. We have enjoyed ourselves immensely and the scenery on the trip was the most beautiful we have ever seen. We would recommend this trip if not for the many delays caused not by weather alone, but by UP and crew requirements!

If anyone out there has any information on our fellow travellers getting into Sacramento by bus, it is well appreciated. We met many nice people on this trip and enjoyed their company.

There was a blizzard in the Sierras that caused havoc on Donner Pass. The UP snow removal effort was stretched to the max, including the derailment of a spreader (a large plow that moves the snow off and well wide of the tracks). Amtrak, and all the other traffic over the pass, was held hostage to the storm and the snow removal. And, to make matters worse, Interstate 80 was closed for a time making it difficult to get replacement crews to trains that needed relief due to going beyond the hours of work law.
Basically, it was a nasty week, even by Donner standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back