Update on Bucket List Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
Thanks to the input from many of you we have decided to change our minds and take the CS and CZ from SEA to CHI instead of the EB this coming July. Many, many good suggestions which are always appreciated.

For the last leg of the trip we need to get from CHI to BAL. My orginal plan was the CL and then a regional. However some have suggested the CARD. It does travel on the day we would need it. My question is what are the pros and cons of taking one over the other? I have heard negative comments about the CARD regarding food and service and that is making me shy away from it. Are such negative comments founded? We will be in a sleeper.

Thanks!

Thanks to the input from many of you we have decided to change our minds and take the CS and CZ from SEA to CHI instead of the EB this coming July. Many, many good suggestions which are always appreciated.

For the last leg of the trip we need to get from CHI to BAL. My orginal plan was the CL and then a regional. However some have suggested the CARD. It does travel on the day we would need it. My question is what are the pros and cons of taking one over the other? I have heard negative comments about the CARD regarding food and service and that is making me shy away from it. Are such negative comments founded? We will be in a sleeper.

Thanks!
YES, the negative comments are founded. While the Card traverses as pretty a route with scenery as any trip, the lack of amenities kills it for me.

If you are content with basically sitting in your room for the entire trip, except for eating your meals in the AmDinette, AND your bedroom/roomette is on the CORRECT side of the train. (so you can see New River Gorge) then you will enjoy.

I love the route, but hate the train. Now, if I were lucky enough to ride it when they had the GREAT DOME, even I would put up with the lack of a full diner............. This route just SCREAMS for a dome car........ But no one is listening........

Since you havent ridden the Cardinal, I say Book it Danno! Great scenery, the Viewliner Roomettes are great compared to the Superliner ones! While the Diner Lite isnt anyones favorite, its perfectly OK for food! (but don't order the French Toast Sticks! They suck! :help: ) Youll probably run late, especially through Virginia and up the NEC but getting to BAL late isnt that big a deal, in fact most consider the More Train Time the Better the way to go! :wub: Hope you get a Low Bucket or can use AGR Points!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to some posts on Amtrak facebook page, the Cardinal has been getting into Baltimore early lately!!!

We took the Cardinal last spring and had a good time. Our car attendant was a nice young girl who did a good job and was very friendly. Our dining car staff was a cross between two newbies and one seasoned veteran and it was interesting watching them learn their jobs. (I am a former teacher and enjoy educational pursuits) :giggle:

The food was actually pretty good-- stick with the omelet for breakfast, but the Am Burger, pasta dishes and the steak or chicken for dinner were very good. :D

Yes, you spend lots of time in the room but you can get some nice shots from the hallway beside the bedrooms. One of the bedrooms on our trip was empty so we took turns with our sleeper car friends sitting in the doorway for shots. Since there is only one sleeper and many of the rooms are used by train staff, you get to know your neighbors fairly well and ours were just great people. :)

You can also walk to the coaches in the rear and take some photos out the back of the train.

Overall, I would say ride it eastbound if you have never been on it. Scenery is great and it is a route on our bucket list.

Not sure if I would do it again without a dome car :eek:

If you're going in a sleeping car, my vote would be for the Cardinal. The scenery is exceptional, and you'd have the chance to try a Viewliner room and compare it with the Superliners out west. The food may not be quite as good or varied, but it should still be fine.

I agree, though, that more than any other eastern train, this one cries out for a dome car or dedicated lounge. The route is way too pretty not to be able to see it all!

Since you havent ridden the Cardinal, I say Book it Danno! Great scenery, the Viewliner Roomettes are great compared to the Superliner ones! While the Diner Lite isnt anyones favorite, its perfectly OK for food! (but don't order the French Toast Sticks! They suck! :help: ) Youll probably run late, especially through Virginia and up the NEC but getting to BAL late isnt that big a deal, in fact most consider the More Train Time the Better the way to go! :wub: Hope you get a Low Bucket or can use AGR Points!
What Jim said!!

Thanks!
YES, the negative comments are founded. While the Card traverses as pretty a route with scenery as any trip, the lack of amenities kills it for me.

If you are content with basically sitting in your room for the entire trip, except for eating your meals in the AmDinette, AND your bedroom/roomette is on the CORRECT side of the train. (so you can see New River Gorge) then you will enjoy.

I love the route, but hate the train. Now, if I were lucky enough to ride it when they had the GREAT DOME, even I would put up with the lack of a full diner............. This route just SCREAMS for a dome car........ But no one is listening........

Given the typical orientation of the viewliner on the Card your best bet would be to book an odd numbered roomette.

I don't see why being on the wrong side of the train would be such a problem ... isn't there a cafe where you can see both sides? And many times, when riding in sleeper, unless it's a sold out train it's easy enough to take a coach seat on the good side of the scenery for a while, between stops. Just sayin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back