Update on Seattle King Street Station Restoration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a few days ago that while much of the renovation at the north end of the building is actually complete, it hasn't been opened yet because of budget limitations. The city of Seattle (which now owns the building) hasn't come up with the money for a new baggage carousel, which Amtrak is requiring. And there's no money to work on the upper floors, either. So although I think there was a Metropolitan Lounge in the original plans, it probably won't happen in the immediate future.

I heard a few days ago that while much of the renovation at the north end of the building is actually complete, it hasn't been opened yet because of budget limitations. The city of Seattle (which now owns the building) hasn't come up with the money for a new baggage carousel, which Amtrak is requiring. And there's no money to work on the upper floors, either. So although I think there was a Metropolitan Lounge in the original plans, it probably won't happen in the immediate future.

I've heard the talk about the baggage carousel also. But I have also heard that it will include a Met Lounge. (Of course that was last summer) so plans may have changed.

The original restoration plans, according to Washington St. DOT (circa 2006-07), were to include Metropolitan Lounge near trackside. Let's hope this happens.

Ongoing Phase TI started this year and is targeted to finish 1Q or 2Q 2012. TI includes ticketing, baggage and office upgrades for Amtrak tenant.

Here's helpful and informative link to King Street Station restoration project site. FY 2011 Seattle ridership was 672,485, with $45.3 million ticketing revenue. The restoration project returns a lot of the original aesthetic beauty. Designers also collaborated on Grand Central Station in NYC, so there are some similarities between these "bookend" stations.

I'm not following here. If the city owns the building, how can Amtrak prevent it from opening one end of it?

And more to the point, why would Amtrak even want to prevent the city from opening it, just because it doesn't contain everything Amtrak wants?

I was thru Seattle on Nov 10th & noticed they have been busy inside and out. I made a comment to the ticket agent & he said the present ticket counter was going to be moved to the oppasite side of the room. Also the baggage check area that I saw in 2008 was no longer there & was next to the present ticket counter with a carousel( not a fancy one, but...). They have removed the drop ceiling tiles so the original ceiling is revealed. That will be nice, once cleaned up!!!

Also Portland (PDX) has done quite a bit to the outside of the station!!!

Washington, DC (WUS) has done alot of changes to the shops & restaurants around the main hall, since I was therel!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thru Seattle on Nov 10th & noticed they have been busy inside and out. I made a comment to the ticket agent & he said the present ticket counter was going to be moved to the oppasite side of the room. Also the baggage check area that I saw in 2008 was no longer there & was next to the present ticket counter with a carousel( not a fancy one, but...). They have removed the drop ceiling tiles so the original ceiling is revealed. That will be nice, once cleaned up!!!

Also Portland (PDX) has done quite a bit to the outside of the station!!!

Washington, DC (WUS) has done alot of changes to the shops & restaurants around the main hall, since I was therel!!

RF
The Portland work on their station is part of earthquake retro-fitting.

The original restoration plans, according to Washington St. DOT (circa 2006-07), were to include Metropolitan Lounge near trackside. Let's hope this happens.

Ongoing Phase TI started this year and is targeted to finish 1Q or 2Q 2012. TI includes ticketing, baggage and office upgrades for Amtrak tenant.

Here's helpful and informative link to King Street Station restoration project site. FY 2011 Seattle ridership was 672,485, with $45.3 million ticketing revenue. The restoration project returns a lot of the original aesthetic beauty. Designers also collaborated on Grand Central Station in NYC, so there are some similarities between these "bookend" stations.
I am all for historic preservation and restoration of the character of the facility. That said, please deal with the functional issues (like a Metropolitan lounge) concurrently. Don't complete all the beautification work first and foremost to the exclusion of customer amenities.

I'm not following here. If the city owns the building, how can Amtrak prevent it from opening one end of it?

And more to the point, why would Amtrak even want to prevent the city from opening it, just because it doesn't contain everything Amtrak wants?
I'd like to see an answer to these questions as well.

I have no data, but I suspect the situation is, Amtrak says it won't use the new ticket counters and baggage area until all the baggage handling equipment is installed, so the city is choosing to not open that part of the station. I mean, why would you -- the nice new areas would get all funked up to no purpose. The upstairs floors are to be leased out to other parties, so Amtrak isn't involved there, except for a new elevator which will allow one to get from the first floor (waiting room and etc., King Street entrance) to the second floor (Jackson Street entrance). I haven't seen a Metropolitan Lounge in any of the plans or presentations about the renovation.

Here are some recent pictures of the renovation, for example, the new ticket counters, in the area originally occupied by the restaurant (before most of us were born):

6258783497_611a122742_z.jpg

The picture of new Amtrak ticket office looks nice with an exception of modern ceiling and its light.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I must have been asleep as I did not see these ticket windows! But, I did spend time reading large boards about the history of the station, maybe these boards were covering the ticket windows! Or old age is doing a # on me! :blink:

The picture of new Amtrak ticket office looks nice with an exception of modern ceiling and its light.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I must have been asleep as I did not see these ticket windows! But, I did spend time reading large boards about the history of the station, maybe these boards were covering the ticket windows! Or old age is doing a # on me! :blink:
You would not have seen the new ticket windows because they are in the area of the station that is not open yet. They are to the north of the waiting room, in an area closed off to the public.

You would not have seen the new ticket windows because they are in the area of the station that is not open yet. They are to the north of the waiting room, in an area closed off to the public.
Thanx, they are doing a nice job! I hope I get to see the finished project!!!

RF

I heard yesterday, from a reasonably reliable source, that the renovated, closed-off portions of the station should be open in February. Apparently they have resolved the baggage carousel issue, but they didn't want to rearrange everything during the holidays. And when I was in King Street yesterday, I could hear work going on in the new section, so there's hope.

While the restoration is in progress, the station is still in use by Amtrak, right? I ask because I'm leaving from Seattle in early February on the EB.

Has a Metropolitan Lounge ever been worked into the renovation? I figure with 2 flagship trains operating from there, SEA would be an ideal Lounge candidate.

While the restoration is in progress, the station is still in use by Amtrak, right? I ask because I'm leaving from Seattle in early February on the EB.
The station is very much in use! The interior configurations are just on the change as restoration work progresses and, one by one, each phase is completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back