Update on trip from Charlottesville VA to Lafayette IN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meenie

Train Attendant
After a 3 hour drive from my hometown of Portsmouth VA to Charlottesville VA, I boarded the Cardinal to travel to Lafayette Indiana. The train boarded at 2:05 pm. As I boarded I told the attendant I would like an aisle seat and everyone started laughing! They all said "no problem, everyone wants a window". hehe.

They gave me the first seat so there wasn't much of a window but plenty of leg room! I had a seatmate because she'd moved from her assigned seat. She said the man beside her was doing business on his cell phone the entire way (2 hours so far) and he never stopped talking. The attendant yelled at her for moving and told her she had to go back to her assigned seat! He finally relented and let her stay.

She got off somewhere in W.VA so I had both seats to myself the rest of the way. Got a little sleep by raising the foot rests and laying across the two seats. No matter how you lay, something is always poking you somewhere.

Got to Lafayette at 8:30 am - only one hour late.

Coming back, I left Lafayette at 10pm. many seats were open so everyone had two to themselves. No seats were assigned, we were just told to go find a seat. Unfortunately, when we hit Indianapolis a couple hours later there were 40 passengers waiting. The conductor woke everyone up and told us we all had to free up the extra seats, we'd all get a "seat mate" . And we did. Now we were packed. No more sleep for me. yucko. If that seat would only go back 3 more inches..... <sigh>

There had been lots of rain in W.VA and Kentucky so there was a lot of standing water. The train wasn't allowed to go over 40 mph so we were 3 hours late to Charlottesville. Arrived at 6:15 pm instead of 3pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back