Upgrade from coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gene Herd

I understand that you can ask the conductor in coach for an upgrade to standard bedroom. How common is this? How likely is there to be an availability? Should you ask as soon as you board? How much should I expect to pay or what percentage of the rack price would I be saving?

I am considering the Coast Starlight Los Angeles to Portland and also perhaps, the Zephyr from SF to Denver.

Any tips? Thanks, Gene

Yes you can do this. I've heard several passengers have asked to upgrade to a sleeper only if one is available. They somtimes offer very good deals on board. Yet again I've aslo seen the conductor have the passengers get off at the next service stop and go into the station to ask for an upgrade, and the station attendent will probably not give you the discounted price. So pretty much if your lucky you'll land a great deal so its worth a shot.

C

I upgraded once coming back from NYC on the Crescent...got a good price on a Roomette on an old Heritage sleeper.

Mostly depends on availability. If they have it, the will sell it...

Tideman said:
Mostly depends on availability. If they have it, the will sell it...
Sorry, but I feel that I must clarify that. "If they have it, they are supposed to sell it."

There are a few lazies who can't be bothered, but most conductors will indeed sell you a bedroom on-board, if one is indeed available. I've never heard of a conductor making a passenger get off the train to do the upgrade though. In most cases, the train isn't in the station long enough to allow for that to happen.

Now, as pointed out in an earlier post, during the summer months I wouldn't bet on finding an empty room. If a room is available, the general rule of thumb is supposed to 50% off the normal rate for the upgrade.

This probably also depends what time of day you are boarding the train. I often board the train at a stop that is made around 1:00AM, and the sleeper attendant(s) have already gone to bed by that time. The conductors always tell me there aren't any bedrooms made up with sheets and everything, and that the attendants that could do so are sleeping; hence, no sleeper upgrade is available.

Anthony said:
This probably also depends what time of day you are boarding the train. I often board the train at a stop that is made around 1:00AM, and the sleeper attendant(s) have already gone to bed by that time. The conductors always tell me there aren't any bedrooms made up with sheets and everything, and that the attendants that could do so are sleeping; hence, no sleeper upgrade is available.
Which is of course a lie, as one sleeper attendant must always be on duty.

They usually trade off duties, with one sleeper attendant working the night shift for both sleepers on the outbound trip, while the other actually sleeps. On the inbound trip the other gets to sleep, while the attendant who got to sleep on the outbound trip has to work all night.

AlanB said:
They usually trade off duties, with one sleeper attendant working the night shift for both sleepers on the outbound trip, while the other actually sleeps. On the inbound trip the other gets to sleep, while the attendant who got to sleep on the outbound trip has to work all night.
Hmm you have a point there. Are sleeper attendants really required to clean, and put a bunch of bedding and sheets in a room at 1:30AM, though? :lol:

Anthony said:
Hmm you have a point there. Are sleeper attendants really required to clean, and put a bunch of bedding and sheets in a room at 1:30AM, though? :lol:
There job description states that they are on duty 24/7 during their trip and are responsible for the safety of their passengers. They must ensure that passengers disembark at the correct stops and they must be prepared for passengers joining the train at at stop, regardless of the hour.

Amtrak should not be loosing potential revenue, because the attendant is asleep.

Besides unless the only empty bedroom was just vacated at Kingman, the attendant should have already made up the bedroom such that it's one less to do in the morning upon arrival into LAX. And trust me they don't want to be sitting in the station still making up the beds. Every attendant strives to finish that task ASAP, so they can make a beeline to either their hotel for the night or home depending on their crew base.

So the reality is, that the room should already be ready for you even though they aren't expecting you.

Yep. I remember once going eastbound at that hour, in the sleepers, and the conductor let us on. She simply said, here is your room number, go upstairs...etc. No sight of the attendant at that hour, though the beds in both rooms were nicely made and they had even placed some bottled water there for us. I think in practice the attendants simply don't bother presenting themselves at that hour, which is unfortunate for people wanting to upgrade, but "whatever"...

I'm not sure, but in the union contract I think Amtrak OBS attendants have to get a certain amount of hours of sleep. Usually, attendants will go to bed around midnight and get up at 5:00 the next morning.

Anthony said:
AlanB said:
They usually trade off duties, with one sleeper attendant working the night shift for both sleepers on the outbound trip, while the other actually sleeps.  On the inbound trip the other gets to sleep, while the attendant who got to sleep on the outbound trip has to work all night.
I always do!!!!! If I am snoozing, all the conductor has to do is knock and wake me up! :D

And yes, there is always supposed to be a sleeper attendant on duty to recieve passengers or at least check the door. We can get away with not checking the door if we are completly sold flat out all the way to the end (or to where we are to last recieve passengers) and not boarding anyone at all on the manifest.

Amfleet said:
I'm not sure, but in the union contract I think Amtrak OBS attendants have to get a certain amount of hours of sleep. Usually, attendants will go to bed around midnight and get up at 5:00 the next morning.
We are guaranteed downtime of no less than four hours as per our union contract, but one attendant is supposed to be available at all times just in case of upgrades or late night boardings where the ticket was sold after the manifest is printed and the train is already underway. Is this rule always followed? No, not always, but "one attendant up" rule is in place for a reason, and on my train I am not gonna be blamed for not following it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back