Upgrading en-route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I am sure the pricing varies on the season, day of travel, and availability, but from your experience, is it generally cheaper to buy an upgrade to a sleeping car on the train than to pre-purchase one?

Thanks!

Steve/NOL

It's always cheaper to upgrade on the train. Of course the problem is that it's not always possible to upgrade on the train. Many times, especially during the summer and other busy times the sleepers are sold out before the train ever leaves the station.

So if you don't mind rolling the dice, then yes you can save some money. However, if you have your heart set on being in a sleeper, then you better book it before you leave.

I checked with "Agent" three days ago regarding the on-train discounts. She told me it is completely up to the conductor. However, when I tried to upgrade last Spring on the Zephyr the conductor told me it was Amtrack policy to offer only 20%. Does anyone know for sure? Brad

The correct answer is 50%. Now I personally know the Conductor on the Sunset from Orlando-Jacksonville, Stefan. He won't BS you, just make sure you let him know first thing when you get on board and he'll take care of you. The lowest rate I show for a Standard Room is $107. Now since there is a 50% discount off that you should pay $53.50 for the upgrade. Now of course this is space pending, but you should have no trouble upgrading if space is there.

battalion51 Posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2004, 12:57 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The correct answer is 50%. Now I personally know the Conductor on the Sunset from Orlando-Jacksonville, Stefan. He won't BS you, just make sure you let him know first thing when you get on board and he'll take care of you. The lowest rate I show for a Standard Room is $107. Now since there is a 50% discount off that you should pay $53.50 for the upgrade. Now of course this is space pending, but you should have no trouble upgrading if space is there.

correct sir. B)

Ryan

The on-board upgrade discount is not calculated against the LOWEST published accommodation charge -- it's caluclated against the mid-range charge. And I'm not sure it's still 50% -- I think the discount was recently reduced to 20%. I'll check my Corporate sources on Tuesday...

railman said:
The on-board upgrade discount is not calculated against the LOWEST published accommodation charge -- it's caluclated against the mid-range charge. And I'm not sure it's still 50% -- I think the discount was recently reduced to 20%. I'll check my Corporate sources on Tuesday...
Well if Corporate thinks that it's 20%, then they aren't doing a very good job of telling their employee's. Crewdorm#2524, is an Amtrak conductor and he's saying that the current discount is 50%. :lol:

The old discount used to 20%, but I've been seeing and hearing reports from many people that it was changed to 50% and now we've got an Amtrak Conductor who is also saying that it's 50%. :)

I've also seen a few upgrades done over the holidays, and it's 50% off the lowest bucket. Not only do we have Ryan saying it's 50% off the lowest rate, but the best Conductor out of Jacksonville does it that way as well. There are very few times when I doubt him, and almost every time I'm wrong, so it's 50% off the lowest rate. The only place I don't think that's true is on the Pride and Joy (Auto Train) where there are fixed rates, but all upgrades are done by the station agent so that Conductors don't have to carry RRB stuff. Upgrade prices on AT are(from coach except where noted):

Standard $113

Handicap $158

Family $203

Deluxe $247

Standard room to Deluxe Room $100

Well, I double-checked my source and the discount is 50% off, but not taken from the LOWEST accom charge. Here are the official instructions as published in the conductors discount book:

"Selling Sleepers On Board

Use the following guidelines, except when selling wheelchair-accessible

rooms to passengers with mobility impairments (see inside back cover for

those instructions):

* For customers with advance reservations who are paying on board

(boarding at unstaffed stations):

* Note the accommodation symbol indicated on the manifest (for

example: DS, DA, DB, DC, or DD for Deluxe Bedroom) and issue tickets using

the lowest applicable rail fare(s) for the passenger types and the

corresponding accommodation charge taken from your Tariff.

* For customers upgrading from coach on board:

* Find the C-level accommodation charge in your Tariff for the desired

class of sleeper (for example, use EC for a Superliner Standard Bedroom) and

apply it to the 50% discount column. Charge the resulting amount to the

customer(s) for the room.

* For customers upgrading on board from one sleeper to another (for

example, changing from Standard Bedroom to Deluxe):

Find the C-level accommodation charge in your Tariff for the desired

class of sleeper (for example, use DC for a Deluxe Bedroom) and apply it to

the 50% discount column. Subtract the accommodation charge already paid for

the original room from the discounted figure. Collect the difference

between the two charges - or - $50.00, whichever is greater.

Note: If the charge for the new room is the same as or less than

the charge paid for the original room, collect $50.00 for the room."

As you can see, the base for the discount is the mid-level or "C" accom charge - not the lowest price. And, when all the math is done, if the price derived from the calculations os $50 or less, the customer must pay $50.00.

$66.50 + $17.60 rail far = one heck of a good deal for a sleeping car (if available of course). I will certaily look into it...it would be my first time in a sleeper.

Steve/NOL

I just called AT to make sure my unpaid reservation is still in the system for my Feb 3 trip to MTZ. When asked about the cost of upgrades she said, for example, the discounted price for a sleeper costing $175 would be $50 and they ar ecurrently calling those with January reservations on the Z. She said when they get to the Feb. reservations I'll get a call if there's sleepers available. I have a sleeper reserved for Den to MTZ and will coach it to DEN from OMA. So there's the skinny. Bradkansas

Traveled LAX-CHI, leaving LAX on Jan 13, and paid $141 for an upgrade to a standard sleeper from coach while on board. So this would fit the 50% off mid-price "C" range fare. Surprised that the crew left half the sleepers empty for the entire trip though. You would think they would try to sell them to the coach passengers onboard... <_<

I traveled from Connellsville to Bryan on the Capitol on January 18th and payed $55 for a Superliner standard bedroom upgrade. Definately worth the price over the coach fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back