Upgrading multiple USA Rail Passes to one sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like the title asks, how do you upgrade two USA Rail Passes to one sleeper accomodation? Is the upgrade price just tacked on to one pass (both would be paid for at the same time anyway), and both are changed to reflect the new accomodation?

Hi,

Not sure I fully understand your question...?

The USA rail pass is for coach seats only, you cannot buy a sleeper rail pass.

You need to make reservations for each segment of your journey. You do have the option to "upgrade" to a sleeper berth for each segment that you choose.

When you make the advance reservations, just tell the agent that you wish to book a sleeper for a certain segment, and the cost will be outlined. You have to "buy" the pass first, before you try to make any reservation, so I guess you pay the additional sleeper costs when you make your upgraded reservations.

Ed.

Can you actually reserve a sleeping compartment in advance if travelling on a Rail Pass? I haven't used a Rail Pass in the modern era, but back in the first decade of Amtrak you could only upgrade to a sleeper (if travelling coach on a Rail Pass) just before departure if something opened up. I realize things may have changed, thus my question.

Can you actually reserve a sleeping compartment in advance if travelling on a Rail Pass? I haven't used a Rail Pass in the modern era, but back in the first decade of Amtrak you could only upgrade to a sleeper (if travelling coach on a Rail Pass) just before departure if something opened up. I realize things may have changed, thus my question.
That's what I thought too. I would have sworn that you can't reserve a sleeper in advance with a Rail Pass, and that you would have to upgrade the day of.

Remember that when upgrading to a sleeper, the up-charge is for the room, and not per passenger. IOW, you pay one set fare to upgrade to a given room, regardless of how many passengers.

To be honest, the way the pass works now is somewhat different to when I last used it. The Amtrak website has this info:

"The USA Rail Pass entitles you to travel in regular Coach class seats. On some trains, you can upgrade your Coach seat to Business class or Sleeping Car accommodations for the appropriate surcharge."

I feeling is that one should be able to book an upgrade to sleeper in advance, but the "on some trains" clause is not exactly free of smoke and mirrors language!
default_biggrin.png

The main Amtrak Rail Pass info page is here:

https://www.amtrak.com/deals-discounts/multi-ride-rail-passes/rail-passes/take-the-trains-across-america-with-usa-rail-pass.html

Ed.

I feeling is that one should be able to book an upgrade to sleeper in advance, but the "on some trains" clause is not exactly free of smoke and mirrors language!
default_biggrin.png
Exactly. I certainly wouldn't want to take the risk of finding out too late that I'll be stuck in coach.

Maybe the Rail Pass rules HAVE changed for the better, but they don't come out and say it exactly.

Here's a hint from the Rail Pass section of the Amtrak website concerning refunds and cancellations (bold added by me):

"The USA Rail Pass is only refundable before travel begins. The pass, and all tickets issued with the pass, must be turned into an Amtrak ticket agent no later than the day before the date of the first use written on the pass. A cancellation fee may apply. Substantial cancellation fees apply when sleeping accommodations are canceled less than 15 days in advance."

So it would appear that if cancellation fees apply for cancelling sleeper reservations made with a Rail Pass that reserving a sleeper while using a Rail Pass is now permitted. At least that's how I read it. Good news indeed!

Back