Upper level bar on Sightseer Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
Does anyone remember when the upper level bar on the Sightseer Lounge had a bartender?
Sightseer Lounge
Huge windows on the top floor. The cafe is on the lower level.
Sightseer Lounge

Coach

Yes I remember it being staffed on the Empire Builder in like 2000 or 2001.

It was more than just a bar, you could get candy, chips, muffins etc. as well. Basically any of the non microwaved stuff.

Having 2 attendants also meant they could alternate break times so the cafe was always open.
It seems to me they did a fairly brisk beverage business. People are more inclined to walk over to a bar in sight, than head down a flight of stairs and back up with a drink in-hand. Any bets that only total sales for the entire car were considered when the staff cut was made, rather than each service location separately? I also remember you could get mixed drinks properly poured upstairs, rather than just being handed a can of beer or miniature. That may have varied by route.

It seems to me they did a fairly brisk beverage business. People are more inclined to walk over to a bar in sight, than head down a flight of stairs and back up with a drink in-hand. Any bets that only total sales for the entire car were considered when the staff cut was made, rather than each service location separately? I also remember you could get mixed drinks properly poured upstairs, rather than just being handed a can of beer or miniature. That may have varied by route.
The last time I saw it staffed was on #8/28 in the Summer of 2011 on the way to Chicago from Spokane.( We were in the #28 Sleeper).

It seems to me they did a fairly brisk beverage business. People are more inclined to walk over to a bar in sight, than head down a flight of stairs and back up with a drink in-hand.

That is what I observed as well. I know for a fact that they would get more business from me. It is most difficult for me to walk up those steps holding onto a drink without spilling part of it as the train is in motion.

Unfortunately, if I have ever been on a train with it working, I cannot recall. My first LD trip with Amtrak was in 2010, so possibly. I don't remember though. I wish they would either re-staff it or replace it with another lounge seat.

Was that mainly after multiple trips😏

No, it wasn't. I need to have a hand on the rail when the train is moving. And, if it is not moving, both hands on the "glass" would be helpful as well to keep the contents from spilling. One's ability to "manage" those stairs decreases as one becomes more senior.

I know I hadn't seen it staffed on any train since the 1980s, and was surprised when it was on some Empire Builder trips in the 2000s.

The concept of a drink/snack station upstairs with a bigger menu downstairs is a good one that worked well.

What I wonder is why the Superliner IIs have them too, since by the time they went into service, Amtrak had stopped staffing it (it was well before the brief renaissance on the Builder).

I know I hadn't seen it staffed on any train since the 1980s, and was surprised when it was on some Empire Builder trips in the 2000s.

The concept of a drink/snack station upstairs with a bigger menu downstairs is a good one that worked well.

What I wonder is why the Superliner IIs have them too, since by the time they went into service, Amtrak had stopped staffing it (it was well before the brief renaissance on the Builder).
I mean, Amtrak just ordered new diners and they aren't being used, maybe a similar situation?

The way that the Pacific Parlor Car was removed from the Coast Starlight could have been ameliorated by staffing the upper bar, at least between LA and Sacramento. As mentioned, that would have smoothed out the service breaks and provided a bit more of a party atmosphere. The fact that nothing of the sort happened was one of the early clues of malevolent intent.

The original Superliner Sightseer Lounges, had staffed upper level bars, had an electric piano downstairs, had three television's that showed movies, had an expensive Studer Revox radio receiver and sound system....

The original Superliner Sightseer Lounges, had staffed upper level bars, had an electric piano downstairs, had three television's that showed movies, had an expensive Studer Revox radio receiver and sound system....
It's kinda odd how Amtrak went backwards... They had TVs, and now don't

That is one "improvement" I honestly don't mind losing. If Amtrak had live sports downstairs (like some airlines have up above) that would be nice, but constant noise from all corners of the lounge is something I can live without.
You know, I do agree. If they were to have any 'technological" upgrade, I'd rather have WiFi. But I think that would take too much.

I enjoy a beer or two as much as anyone, but let's keep in mind the need for a family atmosphere aboard trains. Encouraging consumption does not seem a great way to go?
Likewise, I am thankfull that TV screens don't function aboard the trains. I hate the way that no matter how much one tries to ignore them, they catch your attention no matter how lame the show!

I enjoy a beer or two as much as anyone, but let's keep in mind the need for a family atmosphere aboard trains. Encouraging consumption does not seem a great way to go?
Likewise, I am thankfull that TV screens don't function aboard the trains. I hate the way that no matter how much one tries to ignore them, they catch your attention no matter how lame the show!
On the other hand, what if they showed documentaries on the area you were traveling through?

Then, again, Amtrak could have local wifi (unconnected to the internet) that provided the same information directly to your phone anywhere in the country. Would be nice to be able to select a specific page that provides video and/or audio and/or information about the Moffat Tunnel or Glacier Park as you were transiting it or shortly before you reached it.

But, then, this would be from a company that wants to cut its way to profitability.

Back