Upper or lower level

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeets

Train Attendant
IF you are a COACH passenger, do you prefer sitting in the upper or lower level and why?

If I'm riding intercity (on the Surfline), upstairs!

Haven't travelled long distance in coach yet (this summer on the Starlight will be my first time), so I can't say. We booked for the upper level though.

For a daytime trip, I prefer the upper level. The views are better and there's less rail noise.

If I'm going to SLEEP, however, lower level all the way. The noise is louder but it can help mask other sounds, and the sway is less, making it easier to sleep. More importantly, as the cars connect on the upper level, there is way less foot traffic from people going to the bathrooms, lounge, etc. If you're on superliner lower level coach, you can very kindly ask the conductor to seat you as far from the door as possible. If you are in the back row it basically means that nobody will ever walk by you at night. This also frees up the seats closer to the door/bathrooms for people with mobility issues.

Furthermore it's my experience that the rowdy people are almost always on the upper level.

For a daytime trip, I prefer the upper level. The views are better and there's less rail noise.

If I'm going to SLEEP, however, lower level all the way. The noise is louder but it can help mask other sounds, and the sway is less, making it easier to sleep. More importantly, as the cars connect on the upper level, there is way less foot traffic from people going to the bathrooms, lounge, etc. If you're on superliner lower level coach, you can very kindly ask the conductor to seat you as far from the door as possible. If you are in the back row it basically means that nobody will ever walk by you at night. This also frees up the seats closer to the door/bathrooms for people with mobility issues.

Furthermore it's my experience that the rowdy people are almost always on the upper level.
Were you able to get a window seat sitting downstairs?

Back