USA Rail Pass confusion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys!

Prospective first-time Amtrak rider here. I purchased the USA Rail Pass when it was on sale back in June. I planned to book multiple trips using different routes. For instance, I plan to visit my friend in New York. To get there, I'd go Empire Builder from MPLS to Chicago, transfer to Lake Shore Limited from CHI to NYC. Then, I would take a leg down to D.C using a different Amtrak route.

However, I've just been looking at the terms and conditions. It says:
  • Travel is restricted to four one-way trips between two cities, and to all cities in between, over the same route.
AND
City Pairs: Travel is restricted to two roundtrips (four one-way trips) between the same two stations — as well as all intermediate destinations on the route. To book multiple trips between the same two stations, consider a multi-ride pass.

Can someone clarify this for me? It seems like I can only travel to destinations along one route....

I appreciate the insight!

Broadly speaking, Amtrak are trying to prevent the rail pass from being used as a "commuter" type ticket. The route you outline above sounds fine to me.
If you care to publish your whole intended route here, folk can advise you if they note any problems.

Back