USA Rail Pass Now Bookable Online - Only $299 through 6/22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering who else has taken advantage of the Rail Pass sale? Are you enjoying planning your segments?

I was wondering who else has taken advantage of the Rail Pass sale? Are you enjoying planning your segments?
Booked 10 segments working out to two separate trips around a previously booked sleeper from Chi-Sea. Segments under $25 I booked extra. Pattern..one night on the train,one night in a hotel. At 72,I rarely do Coach overnight anymore,but at that price,why not?

Wow! Another positive move from Amtrak. I remember paying $429 for an eight segment 15 day pass four years ago. I'm going to do this. Probably break it up into two trips,being there is 30 days. With a little planning you can avoid overnight Coach travel by carefully planning trips with hotels close to the station. Always fun to plan and you can always upgrade to a sleeper,if you desire.
Wow! Another positive move from Amtrak. I remember paying $429 for an eight segment 15 day pass four years ago. I'm going to do this. Probably break it up into two trips,being there is 30 days. With a little planning you can avoid overnight Coach travel by carefully planning trips with hotels close to the station. Always fun to plan and you can always upgrade to a sleeper,if you desire.
Sidney, this will be my first time to use a Rail Pass (though I have traveled many, many miles over the years....) You mentioned using a pass 4 years ago and getting ready to use a pass once again. I was curious what you might do differently this time around on your trip, if anything...regarding the Rail Pass?

This time I won't be spending more than one day and night on the train. Pattern will be train one night,motel the next.I booked this trip in conjunction with a sleeper I already booked from Chi,-Sea and the inexpensive segments under $30 I paid extra,so I have 16 segments in all divided into two separate trips using all thirty days.

This time I won't be spending more than one day and night on the train. Pattern will be train one night,motel the next.I booked this trip in conjunction with a sleeper I already booked from Chi,-Sea and the inexpensive segments under $30 I paid extra,so I have 16 segments in all divided into two separate trips using all thirty days.
I am beyond impressed with this level of planning. Since you're not spending two nights on the Empire Builder, what do you do with the second night?

I am beyond impressed with this level of planning. Since you're not spending two nights on the Empire Builder, what do you do with the second night?
I do have a roomette from Chicago to Seattle and I will spendtwo nights on board. That is the exception. I planned that portion of the trip before the rail sale. My original itinerary was Coach from Mrb to Chi,the sleeper to Sea,BC to Sac,Coach to Reno,flying back to BWI and back to Mrb. With the rail sale I incorporated Mrb to Chi and Sea to Sac as part of my ten segments. Lots of planning. I booked another journey to round out my segments and a month earlier flying from BWI to LA and making multiple stops back on the SW Chief.

I had bought a pass to celebrate my 60th birthday last year but was covid cancelled. I am grateful to be able to go this year! I am not new to riding Amtrak but this will be my first Rail Pass trip! I am so excited to just get on my train and go and grateful as well for the sale! It's all Coach but that is all I have ever been on in my 40 plus years of riding Amtrak. I AM getting older though and it does get harder and harder to get comfortable in Coach so I have included hotel overnights to get a bed and shower! My trip will be 18 days including including 6 hotels. My segments are LA to SEA....SEA to CHI....CHI to SPF......SPF to CHI.....CHI to NYC......NYC to NOL....NOL to CHI..... CHI to EMV.....EMV to PORT....and PORT back home to LA! Cant Wait!!!!!

I had bought a pass to celebrate my 60th birthday last year but was covid cancelled. I am grateful to be able to go this year! I am not new to riding Amtrak but this will be my first Rail Pass trip! I am so excited to just get on my train and go and grateful as well for the sale! It's all Coach but that is all I have ever been on in my 40 plus years of riding Amtrak. I AM getting older though and it does get harder and harder to get comfortable in Coach so I have included hotel overnights to get a bed and shower! My trip will be 18 days including including 6 hotels. My segments are LA to SEA....SEA to CHI....CHI to SPF......SPF to CHI.....CHI to NYC......NYC to NOL....NOL to CHI..... CHI to EMV.....EMV to PORT....and PORT back home to LA! Cant Wait!!!!!
And you as well! I rarely ride Coach overnight anymore,but at $299 I couldn't pass this up. Two of my segments involved Kansas City to Chicago,than New Orleans. I never rode the train between KC and Stl before,so I booked that with a bus connection to Carbondale to pick up the CONO.I paid extra for KC to Stl,as the bus counted as a segment. A little less convenient but I'm looking at this as one big adventure.

Back