Usage Laws and Regulations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
I know that this has been discussed several times, but i was wondering what the laws say(if there are any) about Amtrak's OTP on a frieght railroad. For instance, would Amtrak be able to sue CSX or UP for extreme lateness? If they were able to and somehow won and they ticked the freight road off enough, could the Freight RR prohibit Amtrak's usage all together? Are there any Gov't mandates that say Amtrak is allowed to use any Freight RR's line?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Jon Parker

there may have been some negotiated agreements in the past, but these days all Amtrak can do is to offer financial incentives to encourage ontime performance - if Amtrak trains are given priority and allowed to run past freights to maintain schedules, they are given some financial compensation by Amtrak

I have heard mixed answers on this question and am also curious where Amtrak currently stands in terms of being able to hold the freight railroads accountable for poor dispatching practices. I believe current law allows them to appeal to the (Surface Transportation Board?) and have them investigate and rule on the matter. I have also heard that when Amtrak was created there was a 25-year clause that gave them right to priority over the freights. If true, this would have expired around 1996... Hopefully someone knows the current law on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back