Used train cars for temporary disaster housing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

clarence hill

Why can we not start up new jobs by revamping the used rail car inventory of Amtrak? We could put thousands of people onto these trains and run it at a slow speed through out the three states or more and set up warehouses in certain spots for feeding and disaster related needs. When we are through with the cars we can store them for the next major disasters? Do not tell me that it could not be done. This is America!

Amtrak has a car shortage as it is. If they had enough equipment to do what you are talking about, then they would not be in the financial situation they are now. That would require a lot of passenger cars that are just not available at the moment. The idea does sound nice however. Even if they did have the equipment, the tracks in the affected areas are just as bad off as the roads. Underwater in places, trees on the tracks, debris, etc.

They do not have to track into the affected area at this time. They have lines that are unaffected for one-way out transport of a larges number of people at one time. More than buses can carry. Amtrak must have used out of inventory cars not in service. I would just like someone that knows answer that question. Who builds the cars? This is something that can be used over and over again. I just think it would be a good plan. What rail lines are out of service which ones can be used. I know freight cars are in the plenty and could be converted with windows and beds and holding tanks for water sewage and air conditioned. At least they could be transported to areas massive temporary housing could be set up. Ship passenger cars from other countries that have them. This is something that needs to be done now or at some point in time. Mass movement and temporary housing is going to be needed for the future events. Rail lines run to most major cities in the USA and it is stupid if we do not use them. Yes?

First, Amtrak does not have a large amount of old unused cars just sitting around. Most of the older cars have long been sold for scrap or to private owners.

Second, even if they did have spare cars sitting around, they would first have to be checked to even ensure that they were safe to use. We don't need another disaster on top of the existing one.

As for converting freight cars, that would take months to do. It won't happen overnight.

Now, all that said, according to another post on the board here, Amtrak is making an offer to attempt to get at least a few trains into or near the New Orleans area in an effort to help evacuate the city. Those cars however are not suited to long term living quarters, they would simply help to convey those trapped in the city to another city where there is power and shelter for those poor residents.

Back