Using a bedroom reward for a roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayman

Engineer
Say my parents want to go CHI-PDX-EMY, and I'm willing to spend 30,000 points to get them a two-zone bedroom.

On one particular date, there's a bedroom available PDX-EMY on the CS, but bedrooms are sold-out on the EB CHI-PDX. But there is a roomette available on the EB -- so they could have a roomette the entire distance on the Empire Builder, and then a bedroom the entire distance on the Coast Starlight.

Is it possible to pay the full 30,000 for a two-zone bedroom reward, to get a roomette (a "lesser accommodation") for part of the journey and a bedroom for another part? Or can AGR not handle that sort of complexity?

Because they'll be traveling this summer and we're only just trying to book this now, obviously there are a lot of trains where bedrooms are totally sold-out. Fortunately they're rather flexible in their travel dates -- they need to arrive in San Francisco by August 4 and leave on or after August 10, but extra time in San Francisco on either or both ends is fine. Still, it's a complicated problem to figure out what's actually available, what the fares and costs are, and what's the most efficient use of my points, their points, and cash to do it! So knowing whether a bedroom reward can be used in this odd way would be helpful.

More specifically, they would prefer bedrooms to roomettes if possible but are fine sleeping in coach some nights too; they want to take different routes out and back; they definitely want to take the Builder/Starlight via PDX in one direction or the other, with bedrooms if possible; they would prefer to take the Zephyr in the other direction, though other routes are acceptable; and ideally the Capitol Limited westbound and Cardinal eastbound (their trip starts and ends in Lynchburg), though that's less important, and coach is fine for each of those (and while they have much lower AGR balances than I do, they do have enough that with buying some more points they could each get two-zone coach rewards to cover the Crescent/Capitol and Cardinal/Regional legs, paying a lot less through points than they would for fares). Complicated :blink: but surely doable! :lol:

I don't get to take the trip with them, but it's fun being their "travel agent" :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Say my parents want to go CHI-PDX-EMY, and I'm willing to spend 30,000 points to get them a two-zone bedroom.
On one particular date, there's a bedroom available PDX-EMY on the CS, but bedrooms are sold-out on the EB CHI-PDX. But there is a roomette available on the EB -- so they could have a roomette the entire distance on the Empire Builder, and then a bedroom the entire distance on the Coast Starlight.

Is it possible to pay the full 30,000 for a two-zone bedroom reward, to get a roomette (a "lesser accommodation") for part of the journey and a bedroom for another part? Or can AGR not handle that sort of complexity?
Holy Shmoly.

Well, I still have a curiosity about the above, but someone just canceled a bedroom on the Empire Builder on the perfect day, so I got it!

My parents now have

Train 29, dep.Toledo 5:22 AM on 30 Jul, arr.Chicago, car 2901 bedroom B

Train 27, dep.Chicago 2:15 PM on 30 Jul, arr.Portland, car 2730 bedroom B

Train 11, dep.Portland 14:25 PM on 1 Aug, arr.Emeryville, car 1130 bedroom B

Bus 5011, dep.Emeryville 8:25 AM on 2 Aug, arr.SF Ferry Bldg

Which prices out at two $481 fares plus $316 for the CL bedroom, $1,499 for the EB bedroom, and $620 for the CS bedroom ... or $3,397 ... all for 30,000 points (11.3 cents per point!!!).

May I say Holy Shmoly again?

Holy Shmoly.

Well, I still have a curiosity about the above, but someone just canceled a bedroom on the Empire Builder on the perfect day, so I got it!

My parents now have

Train 29, dep.Toledo 5:22 AM on 30 Jul, arr.Chicago, car 2901 bedroom B

Train 27, dep.Chicago 2:15 PM on 30 Jul, arr.Portland, car 2730 bedroom B

Train 11, dep.Portland 14:25 PM on 1 Aug, arr.Emeryville, car 1130 bedroom B

Bus 5011, dep.Emeryville 8:25 AM on 2 Aug, arr.SF Ferry Bldg

Which prices out at two $481 fares plus $316 for the CL bedroom, $1,499 for the EB bedroom, and $620 for the CS bedroom ... or $3,397 ... all for 30,000 points (11.3 cents per point!!!).

May I say Holy Shmoly again?
In my experience there is no problem filling in with a lower level accommodation when the reward one isn't available. This has worked for full or partial segments within the same run. AGR has booked me in a roomette for the first two stops, then a bedroom when it opened up. If you check for available rooms prior to placing your reward order, you can fit some things they may not offer if you don't ask about it.

For Western service, family bedrooms are in same rewards category as bedrooms, so for segments where bedroom upstairs isn't available, you can substitute the family downstairs.

Sometimes certain types rooms will be open for only part of a run, and knowing which parts are available can help. On the EB, WGL & GPK are frequent destination/departure stops for overnighters, so check around there to see if a room you want is open.

This July, I will be traveling from WGL to MSP, but no bedrooms were available btw WGL and GPK. AGR booked a roomette from WGL to GPK, and a bedroom for GPK to MSP. Earlier in June, I am traveling on SWC from FMD to LAX, but Bedroom is only available from FMD to FLG. For FLG to LAX I debated btw the Family Bedroom and a roomette, and went for a roomette in the transition as wheel noise can be a bit louder in the Family Bedroom. I will be on my own for this segment, but if I was with a companion I would have opted for the Family Bedroom for more space and made sure I brought my ear plugs...

If making a move btw rooms on the EB, it is helpful to keep to the same train (8 or 28 / 7 or 27) if possible so you don' t have to shlep your carry-on from one end of the train to the other through the diner, coaches, lounge etc.. If it is not an option to stay in the same train, you may want to do the transition at a service stop such as HAV where you would have time to do the move on the platform instead of through the train. Another thing to ask about is if they can book a roomette in the transition car, as they are likely to be next to the bedrooms in the first sleeper. I also wouldn't want to do a move in the middle of the night, nor would the attendant I am sure.

Trip for your folks sounds great! What a great kid. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back