Using buses to make Sunset and Cardinal daily?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you found the high-bucket Greyhound fare. If you ride Greyhound a lot, you'll know Greyhound long-distance tickets are significantly cheaper when book three weeks in advance. Greyhound's low bucket LAD-SNT is only $99. Definitely not $230.

Because Amtrak fares have less hierarchy than Greyhound fares, high-bucket Greyhound will often be higher than high-bucket Amtrak. One reason is because Greyhound has found that more civilized passengers book earlier in advance and more suspicious passengers book closer to the date of travel. So Greyhound wants to price the suspicious passengers out and price the civilized passengers in.

That being said, Greyhound's main corridor and focus is on LAD-DLD not LAD-SNT. On LAD-DLD Greyhound runs 5x daily, no transfers, and fares start at $85.50.

You'll often find Greyhound's route network to be staggered with Amtrak's. For example, Greyhound has no Chicago-Denver at all, it's all allies selling through Greyhound. But Greyhound does have Saint Louis-Denver which is part of the New York-Los Angeles corridor. Amtrak east-west usually goes through Chicago, but Greyhound has nothing heading west from Chicago so all their east-west must go through Saint Louis, Memphis, or down Atlanta-Dallas and Atlanta-Houston.

Another thing: Amtrak has a major base at New York City. Greyhound doesn't. But Greyhound has a huge base at Richmond where Amtrak doesn't have a base.

And one last thing relative to the SL: the SL runs New Orleans-Los Angeles. Greyhound has no major bases along that route except a huge one at Los Angeles. They do have a huge base at Dallas. So Greyhound runs Dallas-Los Angeles a lot, but generally ignores New Orleans-Los Angeles and even if they wanted to compete effectively, it would be very hard due to lack of bases. Greyhound has a small base at El Paso, that's it. That one serves the El Paso-Denver, Amarillo, and San Antonio. That's why you must transfer at El Paso: because the Los Angeles-El Paso is actually a Los Angeles-Dallas and it continues to Dallas while the small base at El Paso connects.

Then from Dallas the next bases east would be Nashville and Atlanta. The Nashville one is very small though and may even be gone by now. Again, Amtrak has no Dallas-Atlanta. Greyhound has 5x daily Dallas-Atlanta.

So basically, more often than not, where there's Amtrak, there's no Greyhound, and where there's Greyhound, there's no Amtrak. Oh yeah, did I mention Greyhound has nothing north of Denver until you get to Canada? Not even on I-90 or I-94, nothing, NO Greyhound in the Dakotas.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing regarding seating: You can't put 2-1 seating in a MCI or single-decker Van Hool. They have depressed aisles at the front. Greyhound has a lot of MCIs and MCIs must use 2-2 seating or 1-1 seating unless extensively modified (tear the floor out and put a new one in). Prevosts are different though, they have all-flat floors all the way to the front.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak does not allow a sole bus trip to be scheduled on its website. If you try to book Orlando to Tampa there are two options. A bus (97version to Tampa) and 91 the Silver Star. You are not allowed to book just the bus unless you are going round trip and at least one segment is by train.

Yeah but their isn't bus service along the entirety of the SL or Cardinal routes, AFAIK. But yes, Oakland-San Francisco would be a very good Greyhound points run. :)
SFO-OAK used to be a bookable trip on United Airlines flying big jets (I think a 727 or 737). It was actually SFO-OAK-DEN, but the first segment could be booked. Very popular among those trying to make a frequent flyer tier since it counted as one segment and for the minimum 500 miles. I heard they got a lot of people flying that route near the end of the year to try to make a tier.

From what I understand, it was a far different path and the plane never got higher than 3000 feet.
Another short route I frequently flew was between San Francisco and San Jose, CA on TWA. About 15 minutes in the air, with the jets (707s and 727s) never getting above 4,000 feet. A great ride from SFO to SJC after dark, with perhaps 15-20 people on the plane. I would always grab a seat in the back away from all of the cabin lights and enjoy the view of the communities gliding by off the port wing.

Anyone seen recent stats on how much of the LA to El Paso route is now double tracked or is expected to be by the end of 2014? Once UP is close to completing the double tracking project, they can't ask for large sums of money from Amtrak for the double tracking.
January 2014 presentation said 183 miles left to double track, plan to add another 43 miles this year.
So at that rate, 2018 would be the earliest point at which the route was "nearly all" double track. Right. Perhaps, to be polite to UP, Amtrak should negotiate for the daily Sunset/Eagle plan to be implemented in 2018... and probably best to get the Eagle-on-TRE thing straightened out first. 2017 and 2018 will be very interesting years for Amtrak overall.
I'm much more interested in the Cardinal route. I'm not sure exactly what is preventing it from going daily, besides shortage of Viewliners and protestations of capacity limits on Buckingham Branch Railroad. These seem like small issues which should be solvable with relatively little money relatively quickly; and it looks to me like a daily Cardinal would, at this point, actually be a minor positive for the bottom line. But Amtrak has been completely mum about it for several years.

Last edited by a moderator:
San Antonio to El Paso 8 hour trip on bus, one toilet is not for me.
No, it's a 10-hour trip. Dunno what Greyhound uses on it. Out of my area and no recent spottings. If it's a DL3 then that's fine for 10 hours. If a White G4500, then.....no. I know a lot about Reno-Salt Lake City though, that's a 9.5-hour trip perfectly fine on Greyhound but then again, it uses DL3s, Blue G4500s, and D4505s.

That being said, I recently rode Las Vegas-Reno on Silver State (who sells tix through Greyhound) and it was a Van Hool T2140. NEVER AGAIN! Van Hools are horrible, worse than most White G4500s I've ridden. And the White G4500 is really bad, that's the type of Greyhound that is known to the general public as the "Dirty Dog". Greyhound got rid of most of them in a few months though. Some were rebuilt and painted blue (Blue G4500).

So basically, motorcoach hierarchy is present throughout every level of operations, from driver rotations, to equipment, to seating, to pricing.

I imagine they do in California, but in other parts of the US do many people actually use the Thru Way Bus connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back