Using inexpensive orthopedic seat cushions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Are bringing inexpensive orthopedic seat cushions on board Amtrak trains to sit on during long trips allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the answer to your question (I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to)... but a tip I learned ... years ago ... from this site ... I bought an inexpensive child's swim-ring from Wal-Mart ... inflated it once I boarded and it worked GREAT! It was easy to sit on ... on my 2nd trip with it, I slipped it into a pillowcase ... no sticking to the vinyl.

It was also handy for using behind my back, at times, for support.

Good Luck!

I just finished an overnight trip from St Louis to Marshall, TX and found the seats to be fairly uncomfortable for sleeping. There was plenty of leg room and I liked that it has the leg rest you can pull up, but when I tilted the seat back, it caused me to slide forward and put all my weight on my tailbone, creating a very uncomfortable hotspot. I also lost all lower back support in that position. I'm going to buy something for the seat before my return trip on Monday night. I thought about the swim ring, so I may try that. I was also thinking about the long blowup pool pad as it has a pillow on one end and if it's only filled up half way it should bend to fit the seat, but I'm afraid it's too wide for the seat.

Also, I've learned I need to bring a light blanket or wear a light longsleeve hoody. Even in the summer, it gets surprisingly chilly at night.

Are bringing inexpensive orthopedic seat cushions on board Amtrak trains to sit on during long trips allowed?
It's allowed as long as it fits fully within your seat. If it hangs over into the next person's seat then you'll be asked to move/remove it should that person complain.

One of those upside-down U shaped neck pillows is a great addition to my daypack. It helps keep my head from tilting sideways when napping upright, and saves a lot of stiff neck wake-up situations. It is also handy when you are able to use the seat next to you and stretch out sideways for some rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back