Vancouver BC airport to Amtrak station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSFL

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
For my upcoming SEA-SAC-CHI-NOL trip on Saturday, I had initially planned to fly in to Seattle the day before departure. I found out I could fly to Vancouver BC for the same number of points and I thought that would give me an opportunity to ride the Cascades to Seattle.

Now I realize that it's going to be nighttime for the entire Cascades trip (since I arrive in BC around noon, I'm taking the evening Cascades). So it's probably going to be more of a hassle than it's worth, but hey it's more train time.

I will need to get from YVR airport to Pacific Central train station and it looks like I can take the Skytrain. Have any of you done this? From my research it looks like I can buy an individual ticket for $7.75 (there's a $5 surcharge from the airport if you get an individual ticket) which would include the transfer at waterfront station. Does anyone know if their vending machines will take a non chip/PIN credit card? I have Chase Sapphire Preferred but it is chip/signature rather than chip/PIN. I don't know if there are manned ticket windows there or not.

I did read that the 7-Eleven at the airport sells day passes for SkyTrain for $9.75 which lets you avoid the $5 airport surcharge.

That brings up another point. I will arrive in Vancouver around noon and depart on the Cascades at 5:35pm. Is there anything worth doing in that short time in Vancouver on a cold rainy day? I don't suppose there is luggage storage at the Amtrak station.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There is luggage storage at Pacific Central- Just it happens to be Via Rail and not Amtrak who takes your bag.

I have done similar trips. The connection at waterfront, while not direct, is not exactly hard either. The service frequency on the Expo/Millennium rivals almost any service in the world.

I haven't taken the Skytrain from the Airport to Pacific Central Station but rode it from the Station to the Airport! My Chase AGR card worked in the Fare Machine and you can also get Canadian currency @ the Airport or Pacific Station which works in the machines! ( the Canadian Loonie is weak right now against the US Dollar)I'd just buy the pass @ the 7- Eleven!!

When you change trains @ Waterfront Station there is a Big Food Court and stores there, I'd say spend your layover @ Waterfront Station. If you dont have too much luggage you could ride the SeaBus to/from North Van across English Bay from Waterfront Station, it's inclused in your day pass as part of the Skytrain!

There's not much around or inside Pacific Central Station! (There is a conveinince store, the McDonalds was closed last time I was there).

The Skytrain Stop is elevated in front of the Pacific Central Rail Station, its about a block long walk to the entrance to the Station. As for bag check, there's none except for the Canadian but the VIA guys are friendly and might day check your luggage behind the counter( tip appreciated) while you wait to catch the Amtrak Train to Seattle! They did for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the tips. I like the idea of a roundtrip on the SeaBus if the weather isn't too nasty. It looks like it will be rainy and about 50 degrees F. I will have my small backpack and a standard rolling carryon size bag.

The SeaBus is all indoor so no need to worry about the elements and you should have no problem navigating it with the luggage you're carrying as the aisles on the boat are wide.

Just worth noting that the $7.75 fare is including the surcharge from the airport. I have a debit card with a chip, but of course since the chips don't function at 100% for us yet, you could consider it a chip/signature card and it worked fine at the machines. And no, there is no ticket window at the airport. Also, if you've never been on the SkyTrain before, see if you can fit in up front. The trains are completely automated, and there's a nice size window up front, and it's kind of cool to be looking out in to the tunnel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back