VIA Canadian and the Canadians

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back then, there weren’t cell phones. You might have been able to send a telegram to a downline station…😉
I successfully sent a telegram from SP12, via the coach porter and the operator at Dunsmuir. I once tried the procedure for sending a telegram to a train passenger and it did not reach him.

In Edmonton there was a CN business car stub track. Business car parking tracks were often provided with phone and/or telegraph connections, but I'm sure there were times between stations when a superintendent was glad that Montreal could not reach him.

I successfully sent a telegram from SP12, via the coach porter and the operator at Dunsmuir. I once tried the procedure for sending a telegram to a train passenger and it did not reach him.

In Edmonton there was a CN business car stub track. Business car parking tracks were often provided with phone and/or telegraph connections, but I'm sure there were times between stations when a superintendent was glad that Montreal could not reach him.
Every Pullman car was supplied with Western Union telegram blanks. As well as a hotel “Red Book” directory…🙂

Some roads, such as the PRR, experimented with early radio-telephone service, on certain trains and routes…

Hard to imagine there was once a time when people could be out of reach for days at a time yet life managed to go on. 🤔
Although Generals Sir Edward Pakenham and Andrew Jackson in New Orleans in Jan 1815 might have preferred to be able to know that a peace treaty had been signed on December 24, 1814. It might have saved them a lot of trouble and dead and wounded soldiers.

😎Toronto the Good! Next stop, Union Station!😊
I will have a full trip report in a couple of days

The only complaint that most passengers had was the stop in Jaspar was shortened..............

VIA #2 has some outrageous schedule padding, especially on the final leg into Toronto.

We went though Parry Sound about 15 minutes late but with no weather issues we would arrive in Toronto 2 hours early - which we did.

As a Bruins fans Parry Sound is a special place.

1691915100158.png

What crew members told me was VIA's main concern is arriving in Winnipeg close to schedule as the crew totally changes. I noticed VIA staff off the clock enjoyed mingling with passengers in the dome.

The Edmonton VIA station is a glorified Depew (Buffalo) - The Winnipeg VIA station reminds me of Union Station in Kansas City.

The food service was exceptional

Fire forecast is looking okay for the Canadian's route in BC. A #1 left Toronto today that is a reasonable chance of making it Vancouver. Here's to hoping the fires are quickly gone - the forecast is looking positive for fire fighting operations in that area.

Fire forecast is looking okay for the Canadian's route in BC. A #1 left Toronto today that is a reasonable chance of making it Vancouver. Here's to hoping the fires are quickly gone - the forecast is looking positive for fire fighting operations in that area.

Service is still suspended West of Edmonton this week, so far.

Vancouver service should be restored this week with significant easing of fires.

I'm curious though as currently the rail bridge in New Westminster is damaged and out of service. Not for long, but could really effect the next #2.

Thinking of taking the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto boarding on Christmas Day. Could this be fun or just a cold journey in poor weather with no views?

Thinking of taking the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto boarding on Christmas Day. Could this be fun or just a cold journey in poor weather with no views?
If timekeeping is not a factor, winter is a terrific time to take the Canadian. Shorter consists and unlimited access to the Park car are typical in the off-season and views are spectacular. Weather can play havoc with the schedule however.

We did the Canadian in March of 1984 which was very much still winter in most of the country and we still thoroughly enjoyed it. Winter scenery can be spectacular.

What could be better for Christmas than snow on the evergreens outside your window? The weather outside may be frightful, but the train will be warm inside, the food is good, and so is the view from the dome or the rear-end observation car. You might even get a good deal on the fare.

As jiml suggests, you probably shouldn't plan anything within 24 hours of your scheduled arrival into Toronto. But otherwise, the train is less crowded and the crews a bit more relaxed than in the peak season, and the view are just as good, and in some cases even more dramatic amid snow and ice.

Last edited:
What could be better for Christmas than snow on the evergreens outside your window? The weather outside may be frightful, but the train will be warm inside, the food is good, and so is the view from the dome or the rear-end observation car. You might even get a good deal on the fare.

As jiml suggests, you probably shouldn't plan anything within 24 hours of your scheduled arrival into Toronto. But otherwise, the train is less crowded and the crews a bit more relaxed than in the peak season, and the view are just as good, and in some cases even more dramatic amid snow and ice.
When our family trips were usually Edmonton<>Portland we traveled around the Christmas and New Year holidays, with enough vacation time to avoid the crowds on days closest to the holidays. Rain between Van, BC and Portland was expected, but we could look forward to the snow on the majority of the trip.

Occasionally still available...
MtRobson04.jpg

A stop I won't see again...
1977 080.jpg

1977 106.jpg

Last edited:
I've taken the Canadian twice, both times in early February. They usually start posting the super-discount fares in mid to late December, roughly half off the standard price (including half off the "discount" price). We looked into it last year and the prices for a standard double room were roughly $1k per person. The train is quite empty and you get very nice personal service from the various attendants, including the on-board steward who shares stories and wine/beer/bubbly tastings every evening before dinner. There are no restrictions on the parlor car except that if they have any Prestige customers, the first row of the dome is reserved for them. As it happens, both times we didn't have any Prestige, so there were no restrictions at all. The entire sleeper section fit into a single seating in the diner, which was very pleasant.

The good news about early February is that the days are getting slightly longer after December 21, and remember that the earliest sunset is actually around Dec 15. We had no problems with scenery. Also, that far up north storm systems tend to be small and move through quickly, so you could have heavy snow for 4 hours and clear 4 hours later.

My experience is a bit out of date, so if you are thinking of a late January or February trip check back with us in December for the latest info.

I took the Canadian with my mother and with my then 10 year old son, and both times we had a fantastic time. Highly recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know what happened to Via #1 (9/27)? It lost over six hours between Washago and Parry Sound (62 miles) and more than 12 hours since departing Toronto (427 miles).

I know that its timekeeping record is notoriously poor but this seems a bit unusual even for the Canadian.
Full disclosure - we are scheduled to take it next week, departing Toronto for Vancouver on 10/4. I have been following the train (Intercity Rail Map) for the last two months and, while it is prone occasionally to lose 2-3 hours between stations, the padding of the schedule is such that it is almost always near on time into Vancouver.

Does anyone know what happened to Via #1 (9/27)? It lost over six hours between Washago and Parry Sound (62 miles) and more than 12 hours since departing Toronto (427 miles).

I know that its timekeeping record is notoriously poor but this seems a bit unusual even for the Canadian.
Full disclosure - we are scheduled to take it next week, departing Toronto for Vancouver on 10/4. I have been following the train (Intercity Rail Map) for the last two months and, while it is prone occasionally to lose 2-3 hours between stations, the padding of the schedule is such that it is almost always near on time into Vancouver.
Just started its back-up manoeuvre into Vancouver Pacific Central, so going to arrive just over 5 hours late having been over 13 hours behind schedule at one time.

Back