VIA Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

James

Does anybody have ridership stats for VIA's Canadian? Everybody says it's so popular and stuff, I'm just curious how it compares ridership-wise to some of Amtrak's LD trains. Thanks.

I can tell you that in high travel times of late Spring to Fall each year the trains are much longer than US LD trains. We rode across in May and there were 23 cars, about 15 of those sleepers. 4 dome cars, 3 diner cars, only a couple of coaches and the baggage car pulled by three engines.

Aloha

Has anyone ridden VIA as part of the rail pass? I noticed the two country price and it might be interesting to include Canada in my quest to get to Philadelphia fot the NMRA convention. With this pass how do you book sleepers and choose the various trains to ride.

Wish I could consolidate the flights to get a round trip...

Mahalo

Regarding the length of the train, they expand or contract it as needed. When I rode last October it was 21 cars out and 30 cars back east(two of them deadhead).

In the winter , it can be very low, like maybe 8 or 9 cars.

GG-1 said:
Aloha
Has anyone ridden VIA as part of the rail pass? I noticed the two country price and it might be interesting to include Canada in my quest to get to Philadelphia fot the NMRA convention. With this pass how do you book sleepers and choose the various trains to ride.

Wish I could consolidate the flights to get a round trip...

Mahalo
You can call 1-800-USA-RAIL and ask for the North America Rail Pass desk (not available 24/7, though; maybe weekdays only). There, you can book your trip and request sleepers on whichever segments you desire.

My only trips on VIA Rail were part of a NA Rail Pass a couple of years ago, when I rode the Maple Leaf from the Canadian Border to Toronto and then the Enterprise, in sleeper, from Toronto to Montreal (apparently this train has been, or soon will be, discontinued). The Rennaissance sleeper upgrade was only $40 USD.

Back