Via Fares vs. Amtrak's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Ben

I looked up the price of taking a trip from Vancuver-Toronto vs. Amtrak's LA-Orlando, which are the same distance. Why is it almost 3x more expensive to travel on Via? I know the service is better and there are domes, but 3x is a lot. On the same note, does the Canadian make tons of money? It is a long train full of sleeper coaches, which means almost everyone onboard is paying even more than coach fare.

Some thoughts on the subject Yes, it can be a very long train full of sleepers, very few coaches, esp. in the peak seasons.When I rode it recently the eastbound had 27 in service cars(plus three deadheads) and of those 27 only three were coaches.

As to comparing prices, that would be difficult because the accommodations are not completely compatable. They have different kinds of rooms from ours. The two rooms most closely matched would be the double bedroom for them and the deluxe bedroom for us.

It is my impression, FWIW that prices in Canada are generally higher than ours for all kinds of things(guess except medicine!!!). I took a similar long trip 30-plus years ago and I remember the prices being high also, in fact I came perilously close to literally running out of money,(dead serious about that) I had not budgeted enough, and this was in the days before credit cards. (or, at least I did not have one yet---they probably existed).

Don't forget too, that 1 US dollar buys approximately $1.25 Canadian. So that helps to offset some of the difference.

Additionally, I don't think that Canada gives VIA much operational support, they give them mainly money for capital improvements. So VIA has to charge more to cover operations.

Finally there is a big difference in the level and quality of service you'll get from VIA vs. Amtrak.

I think, too, there is an expression which goes something like this:"charge what the market will bear"---meaning sort of what it says, and I suspect there is sufficient demand for that train to get away with high prices.

I noted a huge percentage of "foreigners" (yes, that includes me) on board so I suspect the Canadian has quite the international reputation among traveling people so I guess that helps them get away with charging so much.

I know there are a fair amount of foreign visitors on Amtrak, esp. the great western routes, but I am talking about a much higher percentage on the Canadian. ( at least in my experience, of each)

Finally there is a big difference in the level and quality of service you'll get from VIA vs. Amtrak.
I've only recently ridden the Empire Builder, once, as my only real Amtrak experience. Is the service that much better on Via? How?

Also, is it three nights on the cross USA trip mentioned, or just two? I think it is three on VIA as we have been looking into that trip for a future time.

If I could sum up the difference of quality in one word I would use the word "consistency". The level of service on VIA was consistently at least "good" on my recent trip.

You can tell, from reading this forum that there are huge gaps in courtesy etc by Amtrak employees, one guy had a recent disaster trip to Oregon and back (different disasters in each direction). On the other hand, some of the best service I have received in my life has been on Amtrak. But I found the VIA experience to be smoother, more even flowing. The empoloyees were easier for me, a railfan, to strike up a conversation with. Perhaps they were less busy, as there are very long stetches in Canada without people or stops.

Check out some of the recent trip reports, from different people(two from me) about their Canadian experiences. Steve 4031 put out a good report. No one employee, for me, was just super, super super great but all were at least "good".

I suspect the old VIA equipment is kept in better condition, though the interior is all green and that can get a little dull after awhile.

Not sure about your question about how many nights. Most of the long distance trains in the U. S. are two nights, the Sunset would be an exception. VIA is three nights, for sure. Incidentally, "cross country" in railroad parlance, can begin in Chicago and go west, it does not have to begin on the east coast to be considered "transcontinental" in railroad accepted jargon. Same in Canada---a train does not have to begin in Quebec and go all the way to Vancouver to be considred "cross country". This may not be good geography but it is standard railroaders lingo from way back when.

Are you all accounting for the exchange rate between US$ and CAD$ as well as the Canadian GST?

Check out some of the recent trip reports, from different people(two from me) about their Canadian experiences. Steve 4031 put out a good report. No one employee, for me, was just super, super super great but all were at least "good".
I have - your report, and others, are what make us want to take the trip.

I do appreciate all the trip reports about good and bad trips. Maybe those reports need to be sent to Amtrak management! (any Amtrak higher management people read this forum?)

After our Builder trip I wish I had some way to pass on my thoughts to Amtrak. I guess they don't send out questionaires as some travel industry companies do. (I get one almsot every time I stay at a Marriott property).

You can always send your comments to Amtrak customer service. I think there's a link on their website, but I haven't checked since the site was redesigned.

Just make sure to keep it short and simple, as they're not going to read through a five-page travelogue. Stick to what Amtrak did right and what they did wrong, and include names of employees that were helpful (or not so helpful) if you took their names during the trip.

Viarail's prices, like those of Amtrak, vary according to the time of year. The Canadian is a spectacular train. The Park Car is wonderful, at the end of the train, both a dome and the lounge. Then there are the dome cars for all classes of passenger: three distinct sitting area with games organized. Their "library" is more complete than that on Coast Starlight. The food is much better on a consistent basis, and the scenery is great at least one of the three days. It's three days/three nights.

I traveled by berth (which I felt to be roomier than even the standard sleeper!) which cost me about $650...including all meals.

Not a bad deal.

Back