VIA Preference 2.0 (Probable Devaluation)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re also discontinuing the mobile app when the new reservation system is activated until the new mobile app is ready. Annoying. And no one will be able to make or change reservations from 7pm on Friday, November 17th to 5pm on Saturday, November 18th while they’re doing the changeover. Funny enough, I’m going to be taking VIA close to this time period - leaving the afternoon of the 17th, and returning the afternoon of the 20th.

Don't be surprised if that comes with a yet-to-be-announced fee, following the airline model they seem to be emulating.
I see that as both good and bad, for the consumer. Good if you book early enough to score your favorite place at standard rate, or persistently recheck for a cancellation to grab. Bad if you have to pay more to get a coveted place. Good that the 'unwanted' places can be booked cheaper, etc....

They’re also discontinuing the mobile app when the new reservation system is activated until the new mobile app is ready. Annoying. And no one will be able to make or change reservations from 7pm on Friday, November 17th to 5pm on Saturday, November 18th while they’re doing the changeover. Funny enough, I’m going to be taking VIA close to this time period - leaving the afternoon of the 17th, and returning the afternoon of the 20th.
I've been unable to book w/points online lately, too. *eyerolls*

The new reservation system (including points redemption) is now up, and at first glance it looks like an improvement, save for the current lack of mobile app. You can not only select seats on the Corridor, you can select rooms on some sleeper trains (it seems to work on the Ocean, but the Canadian just shows your assigned room and shows the others as unavailable). Amtrak should take note of this - they do already have online seat selection on the trains with assigned seats…

Also, the points redemptions seem to be perhaps better than before in a lot of cases, even if you account for having to pay taxes separately. The short trip I thought was a *good deal* maximizing the length of the 550 point short corridor redemption would be about half that on the lowest fare days. Of course, part of this is the temporary 30% reduction in points fares, though without that it still doesn’t seem horrible. Perhaps I’m missing some redemptions that would be significantly worse. Also, you can do all points redemptions online.

The new baggage policy is also in effect, but it seems they’re waiving fees for the time being for additional large baggage (at least if you add it online). Though I figure that’s coming (probably around the same time they remove the 30% points discount). I am taking VIA back to Windsor (and then over the border back home) from Aldershot on Monday, so perhaps I’ll get to see how some of this works…

I just booked a discounted cabine for one Toronto-Vancouver in October for 7,016 points and CAD 286.65 taxes.

It took the lady about 45 minutes including involvement if the back-office to complete the booking, because of redeeming one of the four Premier-coupons. She explained the introduction of the new system and that everybody is on a steep learning curve. Which I off course understand.

I think that would have cost 13,000 under the old rules. I burned off all my points back in March fearing a massive devaluation.

One thing they've done is jam down the often-massive price gap between regular tix and flex tix (which earn 50% bonus points, often making that close to a no-brainer, especially if you have status).

However...how do you get a price in points?

Edit: NVM, found it. I found a berth fare on the Canadian that yielded over 30 cents/point. That said, I think you can no longer specify upper/lower?

Last edited:
One thing they've done is jam down the often-massive price gap between regular tix and flex tix (which earn 50% bonus points, often making that close to a no-brainer, especially if you have status).

However...how do you get a price in points?
I noticed that, though the gap seemed greater the closer the date was. It is similar to what Amtrak did with their new fare classes. As far as getting a price in points, you have to do a booking, get to the payment screen, and then select points.

Last edited:
I noticed that, though the gap seemed greater the closer the date was. It is similar to what Amtrak did with their new fare classes. As far as getting a price in points, you have to do a booking, get to the payment screen, and then select points. Though it is a constant 0.27 CAD per point currently as someone said earlier…
Thanks...I poked and found that.

I found a berth fare for 0.314 CAD/point, while I think the Corridor BC fare I found was like 0.14...

Wow, I know the new system is not 100% but I just booked Halifax -> Toronto in sleeper + business for around 2100 points... Until yesterday I didn't have enough to book Halifax to Montreal, and certainly not the add on to Toronto.

Aah, so it’s not constant. They said it was going to be revenue based - wondering what the other variables are?
Accommodation type is an easy one, as is Corridor/LD.

Edit: Added a screenshot for Winnipeg-Churchill in a Roomette. That comes to a notional 42 cents per point (or, if you have Premier status, it is literally cheaper to book a round-trip Toronto-Montreal in Business and then use the points...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119-142357_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119-142357_Chrome.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back