VIA timetables?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Siegmund

Service Attendant
Is there any repository comparable to www.timetables.org for VIA timetables, especially from the early years?

My own collection doesn't go back before 1990, and streamlinermemories.info has one from 1988... but the ones I'd be most interested in seeing are the ones before the first big round of cuts.

jiml

OBS Chief
There's no online library that I'm aware of, such as exists for Amtrak. Several sites have key historical timetables available, but they can be hit-or-miss and not always great quality scans. Canadian Railway Observations (.com) is one possibility. I have a box of them:), but that really doesn't help you.

Siegmund

Service Attendant
What a find! Glad I asked!

Would be nice if we could find a more visible location to host these, perhaps even make it part of the same site as the Amtrak collection.

Siegmund

Service Attendant
...and having had a chance to browse these a little bit... I am amazed at how much service was still running in Canada in the late 70s.

I didn't know that Edmundston-Quebec survived until 1979, or that Chicoutimi and Senneterre service had been daily until 1981. I didn't know that Saskatoon to The Pas had EVER run, nor that there had been 2 routes from Winnipeg to The Pas both with service until 1981.

jiml

OBS Chief
...and having had a chance to browse these a little bit... I am amazed at how much service was still running in Canada in the late 70s.

I didn't know that Edmundston-Quebec survived until 1979, or that Chicoutimi and Senneterre service had been daily until 1981. I didn't know that Saskatoon to The Pas had EVER run, nor that there had been 2 routes from Winnipeg to The Pas both with service until 1981.
IIRC (and will check those timetables against some of my own) the Senneterre service used to extend to Noranda/Rouyn where you could connect to Ontario Northland's long-gone overnight service to/from Toronto. You could create an interesting 2-day loop trip through some pretty remote country. It wasn't for an inexperienced rail traveller, but was certainly on my wish list when I was much younger.

Siegmund

Service Attendant
Apparently the loop via Rouyn-Noranda was possible until 1981, the loop via Cochrane until quite recently.

I had always wanted to see that part of the world too but never have. I actually had a student from Chicoutimi in my class when I was teaching in Alaska. I learned I'd been pronouncing it wrong all my life...but she was quite amazed I knew where it was and had an interest in the area.

The amount of enroute switching these northern services did is amazing to me -- that patchwork of through cars was something that had ended a good 30 years previously on most US runs.

jiml

OBS Chief

railiner

Conductor
That was awesome. Nice shout-out to EPA too. I've still considered doing the 601 to Jonquiere and back, but that's a long way without food service on the train. Also not an easy sell to the Mrs., who likes sleeping and dining cars for long trips.
I rode that train last year, when they were running a dome car...
But even without the dome, IIRC, the coach did have a limited meal service available...
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/menus/111137761-1_VIA_5633-15_Menus_Corridor_Cosmetique.pdf

jiml

OBS Chief
I rode that train last year, when they were running a dome car...
But even without the dome, IIRC, the coach did have a limited meal service available...
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/menus/111137761-1_VIA_5633-15_Menus_Corridor_Cosmetique.pdf
Interesting. I was not aware they'd had a dome on either of those routes so recently. That would explain the ability to serve food, since otherwise that's the standard corridor menu - not seeing how they'd supply refrigeration, ice for drinks, etc. in a single coach. As recently as 2010 the two didn't run as a "J train", but rather as a regular train that was re-assembled in Hervey (lead loco moved to siding to wait for mid-section to leave, then attached to last couple of cars). At that time consist was usually loco, loco, bag, coach, lounge (occ. Skyline in summer), coach, bag. Not sure which branch the lounge continued on, but my bet would be Senneterre due to length. For years now though it hasn't been possible to pass from one train to the other.

Last edited:

railiner

Conductor
If you read down, there are some photo's posted by another rider...that's yours truly wearing the Royal Caribbean cap...:)

jiml

OBS Chief
For those of you down South complaining about the heat and humidity, here's a video about the recent discussion on this thread. Before the "J train":

Last edited:

jiml

OBS Chief

Urban Sky

Train Attendant
Here’s a great site with just about every VIA timetable since April 1976…..when originally launched as CN’s passenger marketing department ‘VIA CN’

(I believe this link was originally provided on another site by ‘Urban Sky’ who also posts here….Thanks!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6pzlmwfqm7huiwj/AADsbVzmMEPIQyJtQjZLO7Uka?dl=0
It’s a shame you didn't tag me, as I also have a CN/CP collection:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1rriwxrhmll3lmr/AAB5P4McatYTnsEYzbLG5kK2a?dl=0

What a find! Glad I asked!

Would be nice if we could find a more visible location to host these, perhaps even make it part of the same site as the Amtrak collection.
I’d be more than happy to have them hosted somewhere else than on my private Dropbox account. If you know a more accessible place, please let me know...!

Seaboard92

Conductor
Group Builder