Viewliner and the MTA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
later this month I will take my first ride (in a standard sleeper) on Viewliner equipment. Is there anything someone like me with lots and lots of Superliner experience should know?

I'll be getting off #49 (Lake Shore Limited from CHI) at NYP, and taking the Long Island Rail Road to Hicksville. How are the two railroads connected in the station? Does Amtrak and the MTA share platforms?

AW,

Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and the Long Island RR all share the various tracks at Penn station. However NJT & Amtrak use an upper level waiting area, while the LIRR uses a mid-level waiting area. You will have to go upstairs upon arrival at Penn and then find the LIRR waiting area in order to know what track your train to Hicksville is on. While I wouldn't want to bet on it, it's certainly within the realm of possibility that your LIRR train could end up on the same track as the Lake Shore arrived on.

As for the sleeper, you'll gain a sink and toilet in your room. There is an cubby hole for your luggage above the sink area, extending over the hall. Plus you'll gain a TV screen with first run movies in your room.

Amtrak Watcher,

Usually I ride Superliners, as I live in the West.

However I've ridden and enjoyed the Late, er, Lake Shore Ltd., and the Crescent.

When AlanB says "cubby hole" he means it.

That luggage space is pretty tight in a Viewliner Standard BR.

There are no luggage racks (like the Superliners have downstairs).

On the LSL, we were instructed to place our extra luggage in the baggage car, which was right in front of us in the consist.

It was an experience going to our suitcases inside a swaying baggage car at 60 mph. Enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back