Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliners still have under floor A/C units? I thought like most other modern cars the A/C units are now compact sealed units above the vestibule along the roof line. Well maybe not.
I'm pretty sure they are still under the car body on a Viewliner I. I don't know where the Viewliner IIs will house the equipment but I assume it will be in an area with easy access, which doesn't include the roof line.

Yeah well. In the usual European stuff they have sealed units that fit between the vestibule ceiling and the roof. Typically there are two units in each car, one at each end. That is the way it is apparently in the Brightline Viaggios. If one breaks they just lift the whole unit out and plop another one in. There is nothing that can be opened up and fixed while it is in place. So I was just wondering.

Aren't the A/C units on the rooftop in the Acelas?

Aren't the A/C units on the rooftop in the Acelas?
I believe they are, but Acelas have a custom built, designated facility that every train returns to within a calendar day (unless it breaks down.) This is not true for a viewliner or most of the fleet, so things need to be in an area where Amtrak and their contractors at outlying points can reach them.

New NYC subway cars, and LIRR/MNRR cars have modular roof AC also. VL1s were built 20 years ago, and were designed a few years before that. The bigger question is- are they easier to service on the new ones?

Viewliners still have under floor A/C units? I thought like most other modern cars the A/C units are now compact sealed units above the vestibule along the roof line. Well maybe not.
I'm pretty sure they are still under the car body on a Viewliner I. I don't know where the Viewliner IIs will house the equipment but I assume it will be in an area with easy access, which doesn't include the roof line.
The AC packs are underneath the Viewliner IIs as well.

Roofmounted A/C units are easier to repair, but they seem far less functional in general, as they take up substantially more space in the roof, which seems to leave little room for the air distribution ducts.

I will admit I know nothing about the duct design issues, but I will note that even in the Indian regular 40C plus ambient, the A/C LHB coaches with roof mounted sealed units have no problem freezing ones rear end off if the thermostat is improperly set.

If it's not to late to add this here, I found this video of Amtrak #29 with the extra Viewliner at Connellsville, Pennsylvania on April 22 by YouTube user TboltSiren1000T.

I believe the three test cars - Baggage-dorm, diner, and sleeper - went back to CAF on or around the 16th of April. So no, nothing in the past few weeks (aside from Viewliner I #8400). .

Sweet!

And also, with all Viewliners (Viewliner II Baggage Car, Viewliner I Sleepers, and Viewliner Prototype Diner #8400), plus Amfleets, would 98 be able to reach 125 MPH, or are they still limited to 110?

Sweet!

And also, with all Viewliners (Viewliner II Baggage Car, Viewliner I Sleepers, and Viewliner Prototype Diner #8400), plus Amfleets, would 98 be able to reach 125 MPH, or are they still limited to 110?
Viewliner Is are authorized for 110 MPH.

Sweet!

I have no idea, but today's 98 is predicted to arrive in PHL and NYP over an hour early tomorrow.
Yesterday's 98 was running around an hour late at Baltimore this morning...

Sweet!

I have no idea, but today's 98 is predicted to arrive in PHL and NYP over an hour early tomorrow.
Hope you didn't jinx it..

Sweet!

That's padding.

Sweet!

Hope you didn't jinx it..
Not too much. Its still running about 30 minutes early!

All due to the VL Diner, 8400, being in the consist. :D

All shells have been completed. A batch will be released in April for testing, both testing testing, and testing in revenue testing.

ESPA / NARP 2016 meeting.

I have heard from a usually reliable source to expect at least two new Diners in service by late May early June, and maybe more.

This isn't working out too well, is it? Did you two happen to get years? Maybe your sources meant 2018 and you misunderstood them.

Well you know, s*it happens. When he said it he said 2016. But no one can predict what may or may not happen with CAF. Not even folks at Amtrak, apparently. ;) Do you have anything more on it or you just had some free time to kill? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
All shells have been completed. A batch will be released in April for testing, both testing testing, and testing in revenue testing.

ESPA / NARP 2016 meeting.
I have heard from a usually reliable source to expect at least two new Diners in service by late May early June, and maybe more.
This isn't working out too well, is it? Did you two happen to get years? Maybe your sources meant 2018 and you misunderstood them.
Ok so what new information do you have? Or are you just Trolling this weekend.

Hmmm. Let's see. Here's some new information:

I don't believe the two new diners will be in service by late May or early June.

I pretty sure revenue testing didn't occurred in April.

I tend to not troll but since I didn't attend the meeting like you, I didn't want to assume that the information you posted was for this year without asking...which I did.

It was meant to be light hearted and make fun of the fact the cars that were tested seemed to have disappeared without a trace...like an American Idol winner.

I would have posted a meme or an emoticon with my post to make sure everyone knew is was a joke, but I remember someone crying like Nancy Kerrigan the last time, so I let it ride own its own.

Always go with your gut instinct.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back