Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not referring to this video, haha. I've seen many on Youtube, however, where rail fans should feel lucky that CSX/NS/BNSF police weren't making rounds that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be showing my age,,, but I can remember not being able to "flush" at a station because the pedal merely opened a trap door onto the tracks.

Getting old isn't that bad

On trains like the Lakeshore, they should simply toss in a Horizon Cafe next to the Diner and use it as a table car, just like they use the Lounge in the Autotrain as a table car, or at least the Diner end of it. This removes the crunch for table space though increases that walk for the staff, and possibly requires an extra staff. they will have to deal with this issue some anyway if they expect to add more Sleepers to trains like the LSL and the Meteor.
Spend a few bucks more, and make those Horizon cars into TRUE lounge cars, sans the food/beverage side, just position it next to an AmCafe. Tables, comfy chairs, a piano or orga n(ok, gone off the deep end again).

Anyone know when more Viewliner II's are going to leave the CAF plant?

Amtrak172

Amtrak172
Do I have to repeat my CAF, Amtrak, and God comment again?

No one here knows what Amtrak's, and CAF's timetable is. Trust me, with the number of rail fans watching the CAF plant, and the surrounding rail lines, you'll know when one does.

For now, please stop asking.

I apologize if I came off as being rude. It's just that the same question has been asked here many times, and has been answered many times.

The Viewliner IIs will be delivered when they're ready. ;)

Amtrak172
Do I have to repeat my CAF, Amtrak, and God comment again?
No one here knows what Amtrak's, and CAF's timetable is. Trust me, with the number of rail fans watching the CAF plant, and the surrounding rail lines, you'll know when one does.

For now, please stop asking.

Holy crap!?! Chill out dude! I didn't see your previous answer so I asked again.

Amtrak172

Ryan, your profile pic fits how I feel about the constant "When will the next Viewliner II come out" questions perfectly.

Hey, I'm sympathetic to the "Are We There Yet" questions! I think I check websites for Viewliner news daily (which is ridiculous), but I really want to see these go into revenue service. (My most heavily used Amtrak route, by far, is Syracuse-Chicago. So it matters to me how it's doing.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If we pray to God for something that will make humanity move and connect better, and name Amtrak, that can't be selfish or silly. It's just hard to trust anyone in these times, even God himself.

Checking constantly is one thing. I do it to.

"HAY GUZ, ANY NEWS YET" just gets annoying. If someone had news, they wouldn't be waiting for someone to come along to ask to share it.
Or they couldn't share it even if asked. Either way, it doesn't help.

Checking constantly is one thing. I do it to.

"HAY GUZ, ANY NEWS YET" just gets annoying. If someone had news, they wouldn't be waiting for someone to come along to ask to share it.
Or they couldn't share it even if asked. Either way, it doesn't help.
From the track record, if Boardman himself posted here with the date,

that deadline would not be kept.

So give yourself less stress, let go and let god.

Are we there yet??? Are we? ;)

For those interested, the October 2014 issue of Trains Magazine has an article with photos on the production of the new Viewliners at CAF and the bi-level cars at Nippon-Sharyo. The article "Carbuilding Challenge" is about the challenges the 2 companies have faced in being the first companies to build new intercity passenger rail cars for Amtrak under the Buy America rules since Morrison-Knudsen & Amerail went out of business and Bombardier shut down its Barre VT plant. According to the article, production at CAF is underway with 2 completed pilot test sets. Has a photo of a diner car shell being built.

The October issue has been electronically published. I get my issues of Trains Magazine with an electronic subscription using Zinio to read it on my iPad and desktop. The paper edition is likely not out yet and probably won't show up at the newsstands until later this week or early week (depending on where your newsstand is and, for that matter, if there are any newsstands or bookstores with magazine racks left in your area).

CAF, Amtrak, and God.
Great answer!!

A test train consisting of the Sleeper, Diner, and Bag-Dorm, and a Freshly Rehabbed Cab-Car along with a Hippo ran a few nights ago and this afternoon.
It will also run tonight and next week in the NED, After that, they should return to the factory and something else should come out. So, check back in 10 days or so,
It looks like I was two weeks off. Better late than never. Keep a sharp watch!

Hmm. You probably can't answer this, but is there a particular day or time I should be hanging around Elmira? :) (It's not that far away from Ithaca, and I set my own schedule.)

TODAY! They made a run to Elmira today and should be there by now. Will return to Albany in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back