Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know when the other cars are scheduled to enter service?
The funny thing is earlier this week talking to folks at the NARP meeting including one from Amtrak I got the distinct impression that it is possible that even Amtrak does not know for sure. ;)

The funny thing is earlier this week talking to folks at the NARP meeting including one from Amtrak I got the distinct impression that it is possible that even Amtrak does not know for sure. ;)
I'm not even sure they have received all the bags cars.

I was distracted the last month or so, but after 18 bags cars sent to Hialeah in a convoy, and then another10 followed, did they finally get to the 70-car revised total?

And do we think any of the bag cars will go back to CAF to fix the heating strip problem and other alleged flaws, perhaps if improved parts arrive from a supplier?

So far we have recieved 2, 18, 8, 10 for a total of 38. 32 still to go!

I'm not even sure they have received all the bags cars.

I was distracted the last month or so, but after 18 bags cars sent to Hialeah in a convoy, and then another10 followed, did they finally get to the 70-car revised total?

And do we think any of the bag cars will go back to CAF to fix the heating strip problem and other alleged flaws, perhaps if improved parts arrive from a supplier?
The field mods are being handled in Hialeah. The cars are being cycled through in batches to adjust some of the things Guest Guest mentioned...among other things. Hopefully, they'll come back a bit more user friendly and everyone will get on the same page because some locations are still pushing the "do not use the shelves" angle.

General Summary of Viewliner Deliveries up to now as I recall:
1. 61000 was the first delivered.
2. Next came 62500, 68000 and 69000.
3. Then 61000 was returned to CAF
4. In the same trip, 62500, 68000, 69000 were returned to CAF and 61000 and 61001 were picked up.
5-6. Then in two trips a week apart, 61002-61027 were picked up in 2 groups, 18 cars and 8 cars, both respectively ran as specials to Florida, with the first special picking up 61000-61001 in Philly. Cars were not consecutive between these two deliveries.
7. Most recently, 61028-61037 were picked up and brought to Sunnyside. From there, they were sent in 5 car groups on two consecutive Silver Meteors to Florida.

General Summary of Viewliner Deliveries up to now as I recall:

1. 61000 was the first delivered.

2. Next came 62500, 68000 and 69000.

3. Then 61000 was returned to CAF

4. In the same trip, 62500, 68000, 69000 were returned to CAF and 61000 and 61001 were picked up.

5-6. Then in two trips a week apart, 61002-61027 were picked up in 2 groups, 18 cars and 8 cars, both respectively ran as specials to Florida, with the first special picking up 61000-61001 in Philly. Cars were not consecutive between these two deliveries.

7. Most recently, 61028-61037 were picked up and brought to Sunnyside. From there, they were sent in 5 car groups on two consecutive Silver Meteors to Florida.
Do the car numbers mean anything? 61xxx, 62xxx, 68xxx, and 69xxx? Baggage, bag/dorm, diner, and sleeper?

I would be very surprised if we didn't do every bit of the 110 MPH the diner was capable of on my recent Silver Star run which had a Viewliner baggage car.

I am told by usually reliable sources that they have observed the Palmetto doing 125mph. As a matter of fact one time when it had a PV restricted to 110mph it even mistakenly did 125mph!

These days we have an army of rail enthusiasts doing relatively reliable speed tracking using GPS on the NEC.

I am told by usually reliable sources that they have observed the Palmetto doing 125mph. As a matter of fact one time when it had a PV restricted to 110mph it even mistakenly did 125mph!

These days we have an army of rail enthusiasts doing relatively reliable speed tracking using GPS on the NEC.
And I'm sure Amtrak Engineers appreciate being outed on a public forum where management may be able to link engineers to specific violations.

Strider, thank you for the concern for employees. Very little credence is paid to internet "reliable" sources when it comes to speed pronouncements. I've also seen the great army of enthusiasts posting that the Pennsylvanian was tooling around at 140 mph through New Jersey.

Nothing beats the time that someone said a 90mph train was doing 110mph through a speed restriction. Everyone knew that it was impossible since the train was operating with an E-60 but everyone went and had a look at the high speed E-60.

My only thought is what the post has to do with Viewliners. Even if we were to assume that Jis's usually reliable source is spot on, what does it have to do with the status and production of Viewliner II since the bags aren't restricted to 110mph?

Acela150, I assume you mean only the bags are good for 125mph?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose that would be for the moderators to decide, no? ;) Suffice it to say that AU is traditionally not known for the anally fixated adherence to the thread theme as certain other boards are.

Yeah I agree that a lot of crap is posted, and therefore I would be really surprised if Amtrak management really pays attention to what is said here about speed, and indeed about most other things anyway. That being the case I don't see why the Engineers should be worried about anything anyway.

I suppose that would be for the moderators to decide, no? ;) Suffice it to say that AU is traditionally not known for the anally fixated adherence to the thread theme as certain other boards are.

Yeah I agree that a lot of crap is posted, and therefore I would be really surprised if Amtrak management really pays attention to what is said here about speed, and indeed about most other things anyway. That being the case I don't see why the Engineers should be worried about anything anyway.
Based on discussions I've had in private with Amtrak employees, including engineers, I'd say be prepared to be surprised. Yeah, seems petty to me, but apparently it does happen (and while I suspect if someone posted their GPS measured 160mph on an Empire Service train it would be ignored, unfortunately a report of say 112mph (which is possible with a GPS that wasn't measuring entirely accurately) could mean an engineer who was actually doing 109 mph in the proper sections still may find him or herself having a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back