Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak and NJT ran a test train of a V-1 sleeper, ALP-45dp, and a couple other cars a while back to certify each for 125 operation. Test Speed operated was ~130 MPH but don't know actual speed. Have not heard what the result was and if all parts of the consist all got certified to 125.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the Viewliner I cars are rated for 110MPH currently. But will be upgraded when funding comes and they can cycle them through.
I thought they have long since been upgraded for 125. But I guess the rumors I read (long before the Viewliner II's were in service) were wrong.
Actually, what I was told (second-hand, could be wrong) is that they are in fact supposed to be good for 125 -- they shouldn't need alterations -- but that they are not *certified* to 125. Amtrak was saving money on the testing since they were always coupled with Heritage cars and couldn't run at 125 anyway.

So they should be tested and certified for 125 eventually.
I'm as bad as you with this Neroden, but I believe it is the wheel profile that had to be changed as the trucks are certified. Something like that?

I seem to recall hearing that it didn't go as well as they had hoped, but I can't remember from where,
Probably from someone in the chat room.

or even that I'm remembering it correctly.

You probably are. ;)

Not sure if it's needed, but I though I would put this here since I have the information infront of me, as of 01/05/2009, Viewliner Cars 62000-62049, 62091, 8400 are rated at 110. (Air Brake and train handling rules and instructions book)

With no more Heritage cars on the Palmetto and Carolinian, are either of these two trains running at 125 MPH on the NEC yet?
Yes. Both trains can run under "B" train speeds. Unless PV is attached.
Sweet! Now when the Viewliner diners get put on the other trains, dispatchers won't have to worry about dispatching Acelas and Regionals around them!

BTW, what's PV?
Actually the Viewliner I cars are rated for 110MPH currently. But will be upgraded when funding comes and they can cycle them through.
I thought they have long since been upgraded for 125. But I guess the rumors I read (long before the Viewliner II's were in service) were wrong.
You really need to find a better place for information. The one word that commonly comes out in your posts is "Rumor". I can easily find this information in my Amtrak Employee TT, which as a RR employee who is qualified over Amtrak trackage I must carry. Granted I'm sure there is a new G.O. due, I'm sure it was still show the same information.

I'm as bad as you with this Neroden, but I believe it is the wheel profile that had to be changed as the trucks are certified. Something like that?
Sounds plausible, not that I have any information whatsoever. If it is the wheel profile, this is honestly easy stuff. Wheelsets get replaced fairly often.

Once and for all,

Viewliner Is have been tested at 125 mph but certified operational speeds have not been raised yet

Can you ride Amtrak alone at 15? I just turned 16, I always thought that was the minimum age. Although, since there is no requirement for ID with date of birth for minors I am not sure how they can enforce that.

The thread won't die until the cars are delivered and in service. And only God knows when that will be.
You give too much credit to god I am afraid :p

Meanwhile Bangladesh Railway placed an order for 120 Broad Gauge Coaches (Cars) meeting UIC standards, with mixed accommodation, with the Railway Coach Factory of Indian Railways in Kapurthala last September, with 40 to be delivered by March 2016 and the rest by March 2017.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/jalandhar/rcf-to-export-coaches-to-bangladesh/196032.html

RCF just finished delivering the first 40, couple of days back, on schedule, six months after the order was placed. They were delivered in two 20 car special moves from Kapurthala, crossing the border into Bangladesh at Gede. Shows what is possible when off the shelf equipment is ordered from a running production line.

BR is also getting a hundred or so Metre Gauge cars from Indoneisa, which are starting to arrive by boat.

The thread won't die until the cars are delivered and in service. And only God knows when that will be.
You give too much credit to god I am afraid :p
Not at all. God isn't concerned much about the Viewliner II order, because he already knows when the cars will be delivered, and he knows the day the last of them will be retired four or five decades from now.

We're the ones who obsess over such things! :)

BOLO! The new Viewliner cars in Philadelphia are heading south this evening on a special. Looks like they are headed to Miami like the other ones did!

BOLO! The new Viewliner cars in Philadelphia are heading south this evening on a special. Looks like they are headed to Miami like the other ones did!
I thought I remember hearing that they'd enter service in Florida first, but that's just what I remember, who knows what they are doing.

I thought I remember hearing that they'd enter service in Florida first, but that's just what I remember, who knows what they are doing.
Seriously doubt they're entering service as these are just the test cars. They're probably going down so the maintenance people can see what they'll be getting in the near future.

Seriously doubt they're entering service as these are just the test cars. They're probably going down so the maintenance people can see what they'll be getting in the near future.
Or make sure all of the defects have been corrected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back