Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing Dover is being held because it's a little shaky.
default_mosking.gif

Is the problem one of lack of skilled workers or production facilities at CAF?
Mr.Voice raises an interesting point. When this "political" contract was awarded to an Upstate NY builder, it was "all about jobs".

Well volks, the Recession is over, and the pool of workers with an ability to learn and are not strung out on Vicodin, is becoming sparse. I'm willing to bet that CAF does not have a pool of trainable workers banging at their door begging for work. That may have been the case when the contract was awaeded, but "it ain't so nowadays".

CPotisch, you need to be something more than a fan to be willing to spend time in New Jersey.

Norman, with your attitude an exemplified of the American attitude to blue collar workers, is it any wonder they are strung out on drugs?

In any event Amtrak has funded at least the beginning of the program via internal revenue. I don't know if they have made public where the remainder came from--if I had to guess probably RRIF loans--but anyhow the Viewliners were not part of any government jobs program. In fact there were only two bidders, CAF and Alstom, so it would have been a real trick to to make it political when both factories are almost next door.

Amtrak funded the entire Viewliner program from internal excess of revenue over operating costs, and so far it's been so heavily delayed that they haven't even made all the payments yet.

That said, it proved hard to convince skilled workers to move to Elmira, and I'm not surprised. Maybe a commuter bus to Ithaca would have helped. :)

You haven’t figured this game out yet?

When he posts stuff like this, he’s sharing new info.

You’re not going to get something like “Hi, my name is Trainy McTrainface, I work for Amtrak and would like to formally announce that the next two Diners ready to be released will be the Fort Wayne and Flint, they will be led away from the factory by Amtrak locomotive number 352 at precisely 10:17 am on Friday 15 December”. Learn to evaluate sources and where you can pick up reliable information, rather than wander around like a child that wanders into the middle of a movie and asks who all these people are and what’s going on.

Classic reference, Ryan! I just wish that there was a Royal Research Ship Boaty McBoatface set to sail the Great South Sea in a year or two. The will of the people and all that. Sydney Ferries did name one of their ships Ferry McFerryface, but it lacks the "gravitas" of the original.

And back to the subject at hand, I am really impressed that ThirdRail found a photo with both names in it. It is amazing that getting 2 train cars a month is good news, but considering the double level train car fiasco, anything positive is worth celebrating.

You’re not going to get something like “Hi, my name is Trainy McTrainface, I work for Amtrak...

You haven’t figured this game out yet?

When he posts stuff like this, he’s sharing new info.

You’re not going to get something like “Hi, my name is Trainy McTrainface, I work for Amtrak and would like to formally announce that the next two Diners ready to be released will be the Fort Wayne and Flint, they will be led away from the factory by Amtrak locomotive number 352 at precisely 10:17 am on Friday 15 December”. Learn to evaluate sources and where you can pick up reliable information, rather than wander around like a child that wanders into the middle of a movie and asks who all these people are and what’s going on.
I am sorry I am naïve or have trouble understanding tone or context through a computer. I'm posting in good faith, and it was just a question.

No need to apologize at all, we were all new once.

As one that has been there before, I can only suggest that you lay back a little bit, see the claims that people make and then see what actually happens. You should quickly learn who posts “the good stuff”.

No need to apologize at all, we were all new once.

As one that has been there before, I can only suggest that you lay back a little bit, see the claims that people make and then see what actually happens. You should quickly learn who posts “the good stuff”.
Got it. Thank you.

Apparently Amtrak currently considers parking dining cars as protect cars more important than providing dining car service on the LSL, the train where the dining car actually made the most money from paying coach passengers. OK, maybe they have a point, due to the value of consistently having dining cars on the trains which have them and the value of getting rid of the Heritage diners, but still, it's a little ridiculous. Here's hoping the next deliveries are put into service promptly rather than with Amtrak's typical lackadaisicalness, and that the LSL gets its cash generator back.

Apparently Amtrak currently considers parking dining cars as protect cars more important than providing dining car service on the LSL, the train where the dining car actually made the most money from paying coach passengers. OK, maybe they have a point, due to the value of consistently having dining cars on the trains which have them and the value of getting rid of the Heritage diners, but still, it's a little ridiculous. Here's hoping the next deliveries are put into service promptly rather than with Amtrak's typical lackadaisicalness, and that the LSL gets its cash generator back.
Right now, they technically could give it back to the LSL, but the SM and Crescent serve 3-4 meal, so I guess they just dont want to run even the slightest risk for those trains by keeping Heritages as protects.
Would Amtrak need to train some of the LSL crew for the diner? Or maybe need to hire more people in order to run the diner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crews will need to be trained on new equipment regardless. I am not sure of the exact process, but it would be safe to assume that there is a "bid process" of some type where the jobs are posted and eligible staff bids for the job openings (if any). Depending on retirements or other departures, a crew base may need to hire for open positions, but that is for the position, not the assignment which would be subject to a bid process. That is an outline based on typical job filling in that environment, someone with Amtrak specific HR/CBA knowledge may be able to be more specific.

In get the sense that Amtrak will only start the process of acquiring and training the crew once they already have enough equipment for the LSL, I think the realistic scenario would be this:

Lansing and Jackson leave CAF - mid December

Lansing and Jackson ready for service, totaling 13 diners (Amtrak begins acquiring/training diner crew) - early January

Crew is ready - early February

LSL with a diner - early February

That is my incredibly rough and speculative timeline.

Back