Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the mockups I've seen, other than the toilet, differences are not huge.
I like the new color scheme. The tables are much bigger and more functional. There are more and better placed electrical outlets.

I was hoping the removal of the toilets would provide more floor space but I'm not sure that happened. It's a bit tight for two people to move around. Even better if the step could be flipped up.

I guess when this happens, we will have to upgrade to a bedroom to get a toilet in the room for the middle of the night necessaries.

I guess when this happens, we will have to upgrade to a bedroom to get a toilet in the room for the middle of the night necessaries.
It certainly is going to widen the gap between roomette and bedroom. Once the V-IIs come along, perhaps the sentiment about Viewliners in the "Bedroom or roomette, if single and the cost is not an issue?" thread might change.

I heard Viewliner I 8400 is in Chicago, will it be used for dining service on regular long distance routes in the future like LSL or Cardinal?

I heard Viewliner I 8400 is in Chicago, will it be used for dining service on regular long distance routes in the future like LSL or Cardinal?
I imagine if they need a diner, they'll put it into service. However, if they have enough V-II diners, they might as well use those instead of 8400. Remember that though the Cardinal doesn't use ViewDiners, the LSL does, and it's entirely possible that 8400 will end up on the latter under the current system.

I spotted the 8400 in Chicago on the back of a train arriving from Carbondale. There were old baggage cars separating the 8400 from the Horizon Fleet coaches, so it’s safe to assume it was not in service.

I spotted the 8400 in Chicago on the back of a train arriving from Carbondale. There were old baggage cars separating the 8400 from the Horizon Fleet coaches, so it’s safe to assume it was not in service.
Correct. It's being used in axle count service.

I just got off 449(19) having ridden BOS -》SPG. Walking from the station to get to my coach seat, I was surprised to see 8420 (Providence) bringing up the markers. I figured that's a super-efficient means of prevent lowly coach passengers from the baretable first class lounge. I was even more suprised to see the in-service V-II diner in its proper plce in front of the two sleepers with napkins and flatware set up for four at each table. Of course, I forgot the name and number before I got to my seat. I'll be on 448 CHI - SPG in 3 weeks and I'll get a better look as I walk through to the lounge car to get some real microwaved food.

I just got off 449(19) having ridden BOS -》SPG. Walking from the station to get to my coach seat, I was surprised to see 8420 (Providence) bringing up the markers. I figured that's a super-efficient means of prevent lowly coach passengers from the baretable first class lounge. I was even more suprised to see the in-service V-II diner in its proper plce in front of the two sleepers with napkins and flatware set up for four at each table. Of course, I forgot the name and number before I got to my seat. I'll be on 448 CHI - SPG in 3 weeks and I'll get a better look as I walk through to the lounge car to get some real microwaved food.
Providence(68020) has been in the Lake Shore Limited pool since Sleeper Lounges were introduced. Its due for regularly scheduled maintenance, so it was pulled and is deadheading to a shop. Deadheading is a very common daily occurrence to get cars where they need to go. Hialeah FL(Miami) is the home shop of sorts for Viewliners so chances are it will be FL bound soon on a Silver Service train.

These days, it won't be going to Hialeah via Albany. Spuyten Duyvil bridge is out of service, and there's no way to get to Sunnyside, except via New Haven. So yes, these days, a deadhead viewliner in Renssalaer could be a surprise, unless it was destined to CAF??

These days, it won't be going to Hialeah via Albany. Spuyten Duyvil bridge is out of service, and there's no way to get to Sunnyside, except via New Haven. So yes, these days, a deadhead viewliner in Renssalaer could be a surprise, unless it was destined to CAF??
Right, its going the whole way BOS-CHI, and then likely CHI-WAS and WAS-MIA. Thats the reverse route Jackson was sent up that way to swap it out. Boston, Albany, Sunnyside, Chicago, and Washington usually do not do preventative maintenance work on Viewliners.

I’m coming for you.
attachicon.gif
IMG_1531590109.012347.jpg

You will be for sure. There has been a change in plans. The disrespect of the first state continues!

Here you go but I have to advise you this may be my last post....if AmtrakBlue catches me:

14395838.jpg

PTpD-m9VOgEnaLMcaSpTPu1g0-xF4TZgA9RVPSoDKeE.jpg

Here comes the the long delayed, "I'm not last" first state representative. I think this sign sums it up!

Here is the replacement:

n20.jpg

You will be for sure. There has been a change in plans. The disrespect of the first state continues!

Here you go but I have to advise you this may be my last post....if AmtrakBlue catches me:

14395838.jpg

PTpD-m9VOgEnaLMcaSpTPu1g0-xF4TZgA9RVPSoDKeE.jpg

Here comes the the long delayed, "I'm not last" first state representative. I think this sign sums it up!

Here is the replacement:

n20.jpg
Humph!
I guess it may end up being “and the first shall be last”.
default_smile.png

Why not deadhead it on a regional to NYC or WAS, and put it on a Silver from there? Just seems inefficient to go through Chicago...
It depends on where the equipment is coming from, where it is going, how much dwell is allotted for the train, the train length and what kind of crews are available.

They basically try to make the moves where you have the crews and dwell time available. Additionally, they prefer end to end service. There is nothing inefficient about sending equipment on a train that originates intact at Boston to CHI, where it terminates intact. They can add it to the Capitol that turns intact to a train that terminates in WAS.

This is the thing I keep repeating that most of you don't understand. Not every train that "originates" at a station is made up at that station or terminal. A lot of them are "loopers," meaning they arrive, turn/loop/wye/run around and depart with little deviation. As such, they don't necessarily have the time for manipulation of the consist.

These are the considerations that are weighed when these decisions are made. How much time is there to get this is equipment between sets? Do we have the manpower at this facility? Do we have the equipment at another facility? Do we have the track space to store the equipment in the interim?

All of these things are weighed which why some moves have gone through SPG, some have gone to CHI while other have gone to BOS.

Since NYP only has one train that arrives from BOS and terminates, they are reluctant to use NYP since they don't want to tie up the terminal, that is undergoing construction with switching moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after this delivery, Dover, Frankfort, And Albany will be the only remaining diners. Are they going to bother with them, Thirdrail?
Why wouldn't they??
There was talk of them skipping a few and moving on to the bag-dorms, because they don’t really need more diners at this point.
Where did you hear this talk outside of the echo chamber here? [emoji57]
Thirdrail said otherwise, I'm not going to throw that out as "part of the echo chamber."

So after this delivery, Dover, Frankfort, And Albany will be the only remaining diners. Are they going to bother with them, Thirdrail?
Why wouldn't they??
There was talk of them skipping a few and moving on to the bag-dorms, because they don’t really need more diners at this point.
Where did you hear this talk outside of the echo chamber here? [emoji57]
Thirdrail said otherwise, I'm not going to throw that out as "part of the echo chamber."
I'm not aware of any plan to abandon the last three diners and I think you're mixing the message I sent. I assume you are referring to this:

The last three diners will not be out for a while, but they are still coming before any bag-dorms or sleepers.

There are three more diners that need to be delivered....but there IS a bag dorm emerging from the factory, meaning that bag dorms will be delivered before the last three diners.

That was my only message.

Back