Viewliner Order in Jeopardy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this becomes as lame and idiot saturated as face book, I will leave. I want opinions to be thought out, or not expressed at all.

You mean the sky isn't falling?
Well it is, but no need for concern, we gain 40,000 tonnes or 88 million pounds in cosmic dust and things from space. (per year) The old gain in dust on the natural plains and woods of North America is about 1 inch per century.

Personally all I want to know is along with the nice electric plugs on the nice new cars, are we going to move ahead to civilized travel and get Amtrak with WiFi Internet! :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy, cowboy. "Thread after thread" means this one, and the one where it was first mooted. I guess you are technically right: that makes 2: the one where I brought up the topic, and the one I used as an example. Still, the term "thread after thread" implies redundancy, and we don't really have that here.

Seems to me that, after 6 "yeah, me too"s, the point was worth making. Doesn't seem that way to you? Fair enough. But no need to get hostile: it's supposed to be a civil exchange.

If "the staff" wants me to leave the forum, they'll let me know. And you can block me out if you don't like what I have to say.

Yeah, we already had a thread where it was well argued.

You don't need to keep bringing it up in thread after thread.

The staff doesn't want it. If you want "likes", go play on Facebook.

I guess this one is just a figment of my imagination, then:

Gentlemen, thank you (both of you) for your ongoing ridership posts. They are useful, thoughtful, and much appreciated. If there were a "like" button, I'll bet many people would push it.

No need to get huffy about leaving, but the staff said "no". Why keep beating a dead horse?

Yes. In the orginal article from last weeks TWAA by URPA, the orders mentioned AFTER CAF-USA's alleged stop work on the Viewliners were discussed in a manner showing how there are other passenger coach projects going on here in the USA, but the companies are all foreign based. The article lamented at the fact that there are currently no wholly owned American companies that make passenger railcars. The closest would be CAF-USA which has a foreign corporate headquarters, but is a wholly owned and operated American subsidiary. And they are still building railcars, but - again allegedly - not cranking out long distance Viewliners as they were supposed to.
First the politicans create a situation where all of the domestic passenger railcar manufacturers were forced to close and now there are compaints about it. They apparently don't understand why, Budd, AMF, Pullman and other American railcar companies closed. It because America has been allowed to become the land of the fee and the home of the slave.
Don't forget St. Louis Car Co, another huge loss. Auto manufacturers get bailouts to keep going when there's low demand and/or rough economic times. Not so with rail equipment manufacturers.

Gord

Yes. In the orginal article from last weeks TWAA by URPA, the orders mentioned AFTER CAF-USA's alleged stop work on the Viewliners were discussed in a manner showing how there are other passenger coach projects going on here in the USA, but the companies are all foreign based. The article lamented at the fact that there are currently no wholly owned American companies that make passenger railcars. The closest would be CAF-USA which has a foreign corporate headquarters, but is a wholly owned and operated American subsidiary. And they are still building railcars, but - again allegedly - not cranking out long distance Viewliners as they were supposed to.
First the politicans create a situation where all of the domestic passenger railcar manufacturers were forced to close and now there are compaints about it. They apparently don't understand why, Budd, AMF, Pullman and other American railcar companies closed. It because America has been allowed to become the land of the fee and the home of the slave.
Don't forget St. Louis Car Co, another huge loss. Auto manufacturers get bailouts to keep going when there's low demand and/or rough economic times. Not so with rail equipment manufacturers.

Gord
I think the North Carolina Cars which were built by Kansas City Southern came from St. Louis Car. They were the last pre Amtrak passenger cars built. St. Louis Car built most of the PCC Street Cars, some of which are still running in San Francisco and other places. It assume by AMF, the posted means American Car Foundry for which the initals were ACF. The later cars built by ACF included some of the UP Dome Cars were built in St. Charles, Missouri, a St. Louis suburb.

So what is Tom Rader up to these days? Is US Railcar still in existence? Have they not got a viable order for their formerly-Colorado Railcar DMUs other than the Florida unit? This would be a great American owned, operated railcar company - they just can't seem to make any sort of real production rates.

So what is Tom Rader up to these days? Is US Railcar still in existence? Have they not got a viable order for their formerly-Colorado Railcar DMUs other than the Florida unit? This would be a great American owned, operated railcar company - they just can't seem to make any sort of real production rates.
One of their core problems is that they are not Stainless Steel experts. It is unusual for outfits to buy cars that are not Stainless Steel these days.

The current state of US Railcar can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Railcar

My guess is they will struggle to compete with the established car manufacturers on large orders. You don't get the phenomenal MDBF figures that Kawasaki chalks up for example, right out of the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back