Viewliner Roomette Facilites

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jacob Wilson

Hi! I am riding with someone else... Is there another bathroom to use aboard the Viewliners besides in room? A public one perhaps? Even if I have to walk back to coach? Urinating is fine, however, doing other business could get strange with someone else coming to the room...

Hi! I am riding with someone else... Is there another bathroom to use aboard the Viewliners besides in room? A public one perhaps? Even if I have to walk back to coach? Urinating is fine, however, doing other business could get strange with someone else coming to the room...
You will have to walk back to coach. Through your car (and possibly other sleepers, through the diner, through the lounge car then into the coaches. Two restrooms per coach.

You might just arrange for the one needing to go to ask the other to take a walk to the lounge car for a few minutes.

Makes you wonder why they copied a design from the 1950's Santa Fe sleepers (and others). They were not too popular then either. I understand the new Viewliner cars on order will not feature an in-room toilet.

Makes you wonder why they copied a design from the 1950's Santa Fe sleepers (and others). They were not too popular then either. I understand the new Viewliner cars on order will not feature an in-room toilet.
Just as well... without an "enclosure," the roomette-mate won't be the only one that finds the experience "less than pleasant." Same (if not worse) issue with the old "Slumbercoaches..." They also had an in-room toilet. Even the Superliner bedrooms are not immune to issues. Since they all feed into a common septic system, if something goes wrong, the entire thing could shut down, and everyone in the car will know about it... :wacko:

You will have to walk back to coach. Through your car (and possibly other sleepers, through the diner, through the lounge car then into the coaches. Two restrooms per coach.

You might just arrange for the one needing to go to ask the other to take a walk to the lounge car for a few minutes.
You may not have to walk that far on some trains like the LSL and Cardinal.

Just as well... without an "enclosure," the roomette-mate won't be the only one that finds the experience "less than pleasant." Same (if not worse) issue with the old "Slumbercoaches..." They also had an in-room toilet. Even the Superliner bedrooms are not immune to issues. Since they all feed into a common septic system, if something goes wrong, the entire thing could shut down, and everyone in the car will know about it... :wacko:
But most if not all roomettes back then were only for one person, not two!

Precisely! And, thus, anyone who passed by, at the appropriate time, would "share in the experience." :blush: :eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Precisely! And, thus, anyone who passed by, at the appropriate time, would "share in the experience." :blush: :eek: :D
Well, the passenger in the Roomette could just close the door when using the toilet.

Well, the passenger in the Roomette could just close the door when using the toilet.
My point being, sometimes. that wasn't enough! :)

But I'll bet they'll be a couple down the hall along with the shower.

Actually, in a way it is better because it is a hassle having one person leave for a while or have to walk multiple cars away. And you don't stink up the place for your roommate to have to return to.

I've only taken a viewliner one time, from Charlottesville to Atlanta and back in a roomette. Even solo, I made the trek to a coach to set out a bad order. Those roomettes are just a bit too cramped to really dig in and enjoy the ride. I don't know about you, but I can make a room that small uninhabitable for an hour or more, after a couple of chilidogs at the Varsity in Atlanta. After a good night of beer and Varsity Dog's, Amtrak should be required under part 172 of the regulations to post Hazard Class 2.3 placards on all 4 sides of the sleeper, and stencil the car as an Inhalation Hazard. Personally, I'm glad they're going to a car bathroom, vs in roomette toilette, they're just too small to stink up.

I think women traveling alone seem to like the viewliner roomettes. Maybe women's "stuff" smells better or women are used to putting up with smelly kids and men. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

After reading about Shortline's Varsity Chili Dogs & Beer and Pennyk's "smelly kids & men",

I think I'll either go coach or fly on my next trip!! I used to like traveling in a roomette.

After reading about Shortline's Varsity Chili Dogs & Beer and Pennyk's "smelly kids & men",

I think I'll either go coach or fly on my next trip!! I used to like traveling in a roomette.
:lol:

I hope your wife enjoys sharing the bedroom with you on your way to Orlando today,

But I'll bet they'll be a couple down the hall along with the shower.

Actually, in a way it is better because it is a hassle having one person leave for a while or have to walk multiple cars away. And you don't stink up the place for your roommate to have to return to.
The changes for the new Viewliner sleepers have been discussed here in any number of threads. Quite heatedly at times. :lol: The new Viewliner sleepers will lose one roomette which will be replaced a new module with with 2 restrooms. The roomettes will not have toilets. The plans are to reconfigure the 50 existing Viewliners to match the 25 new sleepers, although how long that takes is likely to depend on Amtrak's funding situation.

I kinda have a problem with the toilet in the room, but kinda not. It's hard to describe, though I guess the simply way would be to just remove all toilets and put in separate replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back