Viewliner standard bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyK

Train Attendant
Hi

I'm trying to find out as much as I can about train accommodations. For one of the journeys I'm planning to book a viewliner standard bedroom. I understand meals are included but are you also able to get drinks throughout the day?

Does the bedroom include a tv?

Any info very welcome.

Tracy

Your car attendent will most likely have coffee, water, and juices througout the day for you (free) and your meals include non-acholic bevrages. They do have tvs in the rooms but I am not sure if they still play stuff on them

I was just on the Empire Builder in a Deluxe Bedroom - NO TV - couldn't even get any sound from the audio system except the dining car announcements. Only TV was in the lounge where they showed one move a night. Ususally a kids movie.

No. Most Veiwliners (single level sleeping cars) are in the process of having TV equipment removed. They came with small TV screens when first built, as a part of their standard equipment. However, there have been so many issues releted to maintenance ( some cars would be returned into service without repair of the TV equipment when it needed repair), service (Some crews would not play movies on the players in the cars), and theft of the TV sets that the veiwliners sleepers will have all TV equipment removed. The only TVs from now on will be in the lounge car.

Water & coffee, as other furom members have already noted, will be available. Soft drinks will be availabel in the lounge car for a nominal fee. Booze? BYOB.

Bring a book for some bed time reading, if you want entertainment.

WICT106 said:
No. Most Veiwliners (single level sleeping cars) are in the process of having TV equipment removed. They came with small TV screens when first built, as a part of their standard equipment. However, there have been so many issues releted to maintenance ( some cars would be returned into service without repair of the TV equipment when it needed repair), service (Some crews would not play movies on the players in the cars), and theft of the TV sets that the veiwliners sleepers will have all TV equipment removed. The only TVs from now on will be in the lounge car.
Water & coffee, as other furom members have already noted, will be available. Soft drinks will be availabel in the lounge car for a nominal fee. Booze? BYOB.

Bring a book for some bed time reading, if you want entertainment.
Wict,

Last report we had from Miami Joe, the order to remove the screens was put on hold. I know that I had movies in my sleeper back in June on the way to & from Atlanta. Many others have been reporting that they are still finding the screens in place.

MrFSS said:
I was just on the Empire Builder in a Deluxe Bedroom - NO TV - couldn't even get any sound from the audio system except the dining car announcements. Only TV was in the lounge where they showed one move a night. Ususally a kids movie.
The Superliner cars, the double deckers, never had TV in the rooms. Only the single level cars, the Viewliners, ever had TV's in the bedrooms.

As of today, all Silver Service V/L's have entertainment systems. :D

The removal campaign is still scheduled for each car, but was put on hold.

What I don't know is if anyone is maintaining the systems or who changes the tapes and CD's. The video tech job was abolished recently and his shop was demolished.

The job may have been contracted in NYC. Back in'97, there was an outside contractor in Hialeah and they worked the AMF II video coaches. They disappeared a short time later.

Sometimes. the cars come into the PM line and the tapes and CD's have been removed.

I've been told that the cost of the CD and movie licensing is outragious and played a major part of the removal campaign.

MJ B)

Back