Viewliner Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
I had heard a few weeks earlier, from the Yahoo Amtrak Group that Prototypes 2300 and 8400 had been moved to Wilmington, possibly related to the new Viewliner order, but didn't exactly know how...till I looked a the OTOL roster just now:

Viewliners 2300 (the first prototype sleeper) and 4800 (the prototype diner) are at the Wilmington Maintenance facility as of early October, 2004, reportedly to be used for shells as new concepts for interiors are developed.
Could this mean a change from the 1-2-12 sleeper configuration? It'd be nice to see another Deluxe room, but I'd be doubtful since it would complicate the fleet. Wonder how they're testing diner configurations, whether it's trying out the Diner-Lounge concept Gunn wants or something else. Be nice if they could get the two cars on the road again (as prototypes of a different sort nonetheless), but its probably just for technical/assembly purposes. 8400 is probably "What not to do" in the new diners.

Any thoughts? Any more info?

I think 8400 is a good starting point!!! :D

It only has a few shortcomings!

The HVAC needs to be redesigned for reliability and easy maintenance.

The galley needs to be designed to allow easy maintenance and component replacement. On the 8400, I think that the galley was built around the components and it was very hard to remove the ovens,etc. The car would have to be cut from the consist and had to remove walls to get the units out. :(

I loved the layout and spacious dining area. The lighting was perfect and you felt you were in a dimly lit club with a spectacular view.

Where did you see Gunn's idea for cars?

MJ B)

Mostly, it was just in articles from NCI's Destination: Freedom, that discussed Gunn replacing the Heritage Fleet with new Sleepers (some to fill in as dorms), and Diners/Diner-Lounges. Beyond that, I have not seen specific plans for the layout of these cars. 2300 could be used to possibly test out a new configuration, though, chances are it might be to familiarize the builders/designers about the technical aspects of the car and the assembly.

A more realistic guess would be to test interior color schemes, but I don't know anything beyond what Gunn has said and what the Yahoo Amtrak Board/OTOL have mentioned. Joe, if you, or anybody could find out more info on what exactly is going on with the two cars, I'd love to know.

As far as I know, The status hasn't changed since we last chased them down.

8400 was in storage at BG, 62091 was in BG and 62090 was at Bear.

MJ B)

Back