Viewliners Panel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrjensen

Service Attendant
As I was riding to Work on the Washington Metro this morning I got the treat to see the Silver Meteor (based on time) pacing the train. After enjoying the smoke pouring out of the 8-32BWH, I was looking at the Viewliners and notice a large Panel around the 4th window. The panel was the height of the car and was around one set of windows. I was wondering what the panel is for, it seem very pronounced.

As I was riding to Work on the Washington Metro this morning I got the treat to see the Silver Meteor (based on time) pacing the train. After enjoying the smoke pouring out of the 8-32BWH, I was looking at the Viewliners and notice a large Panel around the 4th window. The panel was the height of the car and was around one set of windows. I was wondering what the panel is for, it seem very pronounced.
I believe that panel is used to access the interior of the sleeper; this is how the room 'modules' are removed and replaced when updating is performed. This would include the shower/sink/WC sections, too.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual rooms themselves are completely modular. They were pre-built and then just slipped into the car and locked into place. The original idea was that you'd be able to pull a room out if it was bad-ordered, rather than having to pull the whole car out. Well this didn't exactly work out as it was planned, so now there's just that panel where room 3/4 is (IIRC).

Back