Visiting Grand Central Terminal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stntylr

OBS Chief
Next Tuesday i will have a chance to visit Grand Central Terminal for the first time. It will be Tuesday evening. is there anything I should make sure to see there?

Is it possible to take a short round trip on one of the trains, ride out to a nearby station and ride back fairly quickly?

Next Tuesday i will have a chance to visit Grand Central Terminal for the first time. It will be Tuesday evening. is there anything I should make sure to see there?
Well of course you don't want to miss the great hall with the ceiling. But I'd wander around at least a bit beyond that checking out the lower level and some of the passageway, including the whispering wall. If you want a more in depth tour and have a smartphone you might want to consider downloading their tour App for $4.99, more info here.

Is it possible to take a short round trip on one of the trains, ride out to a nearby station and ride back fairly quickly?
There are plenty of short trips, under 30 minutes each way, that you can buy tickets for. This is a very busy commuter railroad so there are trains leaving every few minutes, especially on a Tuesday evening.

There are plenty of train trips from Grand Central but the the prices though are expensive anywhere from Grand Central:

to 125th Street, the first stop on nearly all trains takes ten minutes and a one-way ticket costs $7.50 peak, $5.50 off-peak, if your leaving before 8:00pm your trip leaving Grand Central counts as peak, return is off peak. You could also take the Subway 4,5,6 trains (10-15 minute ride) up to 125th Street and Metro-North back arriving.

If you want a longer trip I suggest the Hudson Line to Marble Hill ($8.25 peak, $6.25 off-peak, you can take the 1 subway train one-way) or Yonkers $10/$7.50, you'll get a taste of the scenery of the Hudson Line. If you time a round-trip right it will take less than hour costing.

Writing this post I'm reminded how much of a premium is placed on trip going to 125th Street or Grand Central (there in the same fare zone, the same price), a trip I almost never do. I live in Northern Manhattan and if I take Metro-North I always get on at Marble Hill or Fordham. New Haven to GCT is $20.50/$15.50 while New Haven to Fordham is $12 both peak and off peak (no difference for intermediate fares).

Back