Visually Impaired

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
Our Chicago Singles trip is just around the corner and we have one of our participants who is blind. Does Amtrak have anything such as timetables etc in braille? Thanks!

Probably not braille timetables. Has your blind friend ever been on a train before? It's such a tactile and audio experience that he or she shouldn't have too much difficulty. And as part of a group somebody will be around to read the timetables, right?

EDIT: And an unsighted person doesn't care about dirty windows. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
the only braille i have seen (my wife is a braille transrciber) was last winter on the san joaquins. the card explaining emergency procedures that is in the seatback was brailled. i would guess it is a california rule as they tend to be ahead of a lot of other states in accomodating diverse populations. didn't see any brailled guides or timetables however

Not certain, but the emergency guides - what to do in event of a wreck - may have some braille. Can't recall this issue coming up before in the forum, but it's an interesting one. I've made a note to check out the braille situation on my next Amtrak ride (to Denver).

I deliver to a place on my route that does BRAILLE! So I took in our "Chicago On A Shoestring" guide and they said, "if you have it on a computer file, we should be able to fix it up real easy". They took at look at the CZ timetable and said, "thats gonna be real hard to do" but then they took a sheet that we had made a different timetable of and said they could work with that. The person who is going on the trip has a couple of friends that are going along with her. I explained that they really need to watch how much the train rocks and pitches. I think if this braille thing works out, its gonna be a nice touch for her.

Our Chicago Singles trip is just around the corner and we have one of our participants who is blind. Does Amtrak have anything such as timetables etc in braille? Thanks!
If it's an issue of Playboy I'm all for it! :p

Seriously, if it were feasible wouldn't it be nice if an audio cd or even mp3 files were made available of not only the schedule but also the Route Guide that Amtrak puts out! B)

i.e http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/routeguidetexaseagle.pdf.

If anyone in the group has a handheld scanner (like a police/fire scanner), suggest programming it with the frequencies for the route you'll be on and loaning it to the person who is blind.

Also, the person probably has a computer that can read many web pages and files. Higher end screen readers can read pdf files, although tables often sound funny. So the person may be able to read the online timetable and route guides (as someone suggested) and put them in whatever format they want.

If they are techie, they might have hardware everyone else would enjoy and be willing to bring it, for example GPS or that police scanner.

FWIW, printed braille is bulky and not that transportable. 80 lb paper is common for anything that has to last. One friend's Bible took up a whole shelf, more than my encyclopedia. There are other tools now that are not paper-based and sync with a computer.

Bottom line: Have a conversation, let them know about this forum and what people have said both in this topic and in general enjoying-a-train-ride topics, and ask if there is anything they'd like you to run down.

ask if there is anything they'd like you to run down.
Careful.

"Anything else I can run down for you?"

"Yeah, the neighbor's dog."

"You're putting me in a bad spot."

"How'd you know his name is Spot?"

A situation fraught with lousy possibilities and bad joke potential.

Most trains have some signage - especially in and around the restrooms - in braille on the train walls and doors.

Also, the person probably has a computer that can read many web pages and files. Higher end screen readers can read pdf files, although tables often sound funny. So the person may be able to read the online timetable and route guides (as someone suggested) and put them in whatever format they want.
You mean a standard Macintosh?

You mean a standard Macintosh?
Macs (and also Vista PCs) have screen readers but they are not complete because you still need sight to do some things. Aftermarket products are available that require no sight for normal use. As of several years ago (the last time I installed something for someone), some configuration still needed sight. Someday that will change, if it hasn't already. Same applies to voice input. New OS's have more voice input features than older ones, but aftermarket products are available so someone who cannot use their hands at all can still use a computer as well as anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back